- For example, a vowel phoneme cannot exist without a pitch, but pitch may exist as a dimension without any linguistic properties.
- He was able to complete items requiring deletion of syllables and initial phonemes but had difficulty with items requiring deletion of final phonemes or phonemes within a word.
- Whereas the five classic vowel letters match the five vowel phonemes of a language like Spanish, they are insufficient to distinguish the much larger number of vowel phonemes of English.
- They can distinguish between any two sounds which represent distinct phonemes in any of the world's languages.
- The English language is an alphabetic system, meaning that our written symbols correspond to the separate sounds, or phonemes, in spoken language.