In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A traditional phonetic transcription represents speech as a succession of segments.
- An appendix also supplies phonetic transcriptions for five sonnets and fifteen speeches or scenes from the plays.
- Within this framework, speech input could be analyzed into phonetic features that are connected to a phonemic level of representation.
- The basic phonetic unit of pirate speech is the single long-drawn-out letter: R, I, A, etc.
- Lawrence Carrington's St. Lucian Creole is a valuable handbook for anyone interested in the phonetic and morphological structure of Creole speech.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.