In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To obtain good colour pictures on a TV screen, you need phosphors that produce rich, pure primaries.
- Fluorescent materials can be synthetic, such as phosphors, or occur in nature, for example, fluorescent minerals.
- Compounds of the element are also used to make phosphors that coat the screen of television tubes and CRTs (cathode ray tubes).
- This invention relates to coated particles used as phosphor particles for a phosphor screen of a display and a coating method for such particles.
- Cerium is also used in the manufacture of lasers and phosphors used in cathode ray tubes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.