In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Lipid spots were identified using a standard phosphorous stain.
- The on-call Explosive Ordnance Disposal (bomb-disposal) diver was CPO Diver Andy Carss, who had earlier that day safely disposed of a phosphorous flare found on a beach in Norfolk - one of six such incidents this week.
- Fig.6 shows the pair radial distribution functions between ions and the phosphorous and nitrogen atoms of the headgroup.
- For example, in the iron and steel industry, the search for methods to neutralize the deleterious effects of phosphorous iron ore not only produced technological change, it also made the range of useable ore inputs endogenous.
- The methyl halide can be produced by reacting methanol with phosphorous halides, hydrogen halides, or, in the case of methyl chloride, thionyl chloride.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.