In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The three major nutrients in river water are carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus.
- Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc are the major minerals that make up bones.
- The main pollutants were found to contain nitrogen, phosphorus, oil and copper.
- Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur and boron have been found to be important in Zambia.
- When the mix is placed in soil and watered, it starts a chemical reaction that frees phosphorus that plants can use.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.