In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(bodily)(exercise/disability) físico(illness) orgánico(love/attraction) físicothe physical effects of alcohol consumption — los efectos del alcohol en el organismo
- Latin people tend to be more physical — los latinos recurren más al contacto físico para demostrar sus emociones
- he did not like physical contact — no le gustaba el contacto físico
- physical examination — reconocimiento médico
- physical fitness — (buena) forma física
- I got such a strange sense of what his physical presence would have been like.
- Sexual and physical assault is still a common problem seen day today in our hospitals.
- A complicated strategy underlies the thrusts and parries of a duel - making it both a mental and physical challenge.
- There is a sense of physical smallness before these works, a kind of Alice in Wonderland-esque trip.
- The Short Form Health Survey was designed to measure perceived current physical health.
- Renner and Yurchesyn compared cases of physical assault, sexual assault and robbery in Nova Scotia.
- Surprisingly, he describes the climb as a mental, not physical, challenge.
- Even buying a pint of milk was turned into a mental and physical challenge.
- From birth, such an infant will reflexively grab and tightly grip whenever he perceives a physical threat.
- We berate those who cross the line and leave the immature and underdeveloped open to the physical abuse of contact and collision sports.
- He enjoys the contrasts of mental and physical challenge.
- Mental and physical exhaustion retards the growth of body and mind, and it often causes a psychosomatic illness.
- In recent years, researchers have shown that physical changes in the body can be accompanied by mental changes as well.
- Teachers will be asked to say whether they have faced situations ranging from mob intimidation, physical assault or sexual or racial harassment.
- Many drop out of school and many are prey to sexual and physical abuse, neglect and substance abuse.
- Rugby is a contact sport that involves physical collisions among its players.
- The cycle needs to be broken - youths need to know abuse is wrong before sexual and physical assaults stop.
- Last night I really hurt someone, and I don't mean in the physical sense.
- This included 126 physical assaults, 62 sexual insults and threats and nine cases of racist abuse.
- With the emergence of the first decent wind of the week, this was links golf at its best, challenging the mental and physical endurance of all concerned.
- They are vulnerable to physical assault, sexual harassment, and rape, and their experiences and fears have tended not to be taken seriously.
- When cycling enthusiast Katie Bamber booked a charity trip to Vietnam she was bracing herself for a tough mental and physical challenge.
- The play ebbed and flowed from one end of the field to the other, with no regard for the physical limitations of the body nor that of the human mind.
- These guys are playing a physical contact game, they're all steamed up.
- The healing takes places on an emotional level, a mental level, and on a body level, a physical level.
- Everyone, absolutely everyone, even the greatest ballerina, can recite a list of self-perceived physical deficits.
- He was distracted from his blindness, he says, by the deluge of mental and physical challenges coming his way.
- By the way, those who say that diving is not a physical contact sport should take a look at Beachcomber's recent emails.
- Yes, there is the element of consent and the obvious foreknowledge that physical contact sports carry an inherent risk of injury.
- First, small steps can be taken to help achieve a basic sense of physical safety.
- Thus it will be seen that a sense of physical security and economic status can be far more influential than is generally recognised.
- The alleged sexual and physical assault was inflicted on a young Latvian man at Station Road, Portarlington recently.
- There are obvious abuses in this world: physical abuse, sexual abuse, and emotional abuse.
- Abuse of a child can mean physical abuse, physical neglect, sexual abuse, or emotional abuse.
- Sexual and physical assaults in adulthood are also related to psychiatric disorders.
- One of the most common allegations relates to physical abuse and excessive corporal punishment.
- One of the most obvious ways that a victim can avoid or escape physical abuse may be by contacting the police and leaving the home.
- Sexual assault, like physical assault, is a frequent event experienced by street prostitutes.
- All physical contact sports carry an element of risk, and it is a risk that players are aware of and accept.
1.2(rough)it was a very physical game — jugaron muy duro
- it's very physical work — es un trabajo que requiere mucho esfuerzo físico
- he threatened to get physical if we didn't pay him — nos amenazó con recurrir a la fuerza física si no le pagábamos
2.1(material)(world) materialthat's a physical impossibility — eso es materialmente imposible
- When I say this, what I express is not my wish for a pure poetry, but a concrete, physical attitude.
- The actual physical objects in the environment that we see make up the contents of our experience.
- It has a physical presence - a sense of weight - that computer generated effects lack.
- Most businesses deal with the physical assets and the environment within, but have never looked at the people.
- A further ambiguity lies in our inability to determine if this availability is merely visual, or if it involves possession in a physical sense.
- Like so many things, it's a combination of social reality with a tangible, physical reality.
- The media used to transport this information are, in a very real sense, the physical highways over which it travels.
- What you are able to perceive of the physical world is actually very fragmentary.
- Another issue, in design writing at least, is that online writing is separated from a tangible physical object.
- Common sense says that the physical environment has an impact on productivity.
- I can't STAND, for example, to start out with a sense of the actual physical shape a poem is going to take.
- The social tone and ethos of the school are both very positive as too is the overall quality of the actual physical working environment.
- The man and his sheep and, indeed, the paint and paper itself, provide the only physical sense of solidity.
- Most life forms on Earth consist of organic carbon, while inorganic carbon may dominate the visible physical environment.
- We have a moral sense that we use to make moral observations, in the same way as we use our physical senses to make physical observations.
- For these are paintings in the traditional sense: unique physical objects which display the marks of craft and have a real presence.
- This type of allocation is a physical transfer of a tangible asset from the company to the investors.
- These are tangible, physical assets and totally unlike the stock of a typical NYSE company.
- My desire is to bring the viewer out of the gallery space and into the actual physical environment of the lakebed.
- Moreover, the piece only refers to a concrete physical setting twice.
2.2(relating to physics)físico
- When we discuss phase changes to matter, physical forces create the changes.
- According to Bridgman, every physical concept is defined by the operations a physicist uses to apply it.
- Certainly, before Newton, the very idea of physical law was at best a blur.
- Feynman's work is filled with the sort of raw physical insight that physicists love and admire.
- Today we understand most of these things in terms of physical forces acting under impersonal laws.
1reconocimiento médico masculinechequeo (médico) masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.