In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1condimento a base de encurtidos picados y especias
- This sweet piccalilli is delicious with cheese, cold meats and especially pork pies.
- Good piccalilli is something you can't buy factory-made it's never really successful. So, why not make your own?
- The menu takes in items as diverse as tiger prawn kebab with piccalilli, wild boar sausages, and duck and pickled cucumber on focaccia.
- Traditionally, all the vegetables in a piccalilli are salted, but I find the flavours are punchy enough, so I skip this stage.
- I haven't even made my usual jars of piccalilli or sweetcorn relish to have with the Christmas ham.
- A pressed slab of ham hock and foie gras were correct enough and their accompanying home-made piccalilli was bravely sour.
- To the many satisfied customers who buy her prized homemade piccalilli it does not matter where the ingredients have come from.
- This was served with some kicking homemade piccalilli.
- From this month you can buy direct their organic all-year-round storecupboard supplies along with seasonal delights like gooseberry confiture, tomato and basil jelly and summer garden piccalilli.
- Serve the lamb in toasted pitta breads with the piccalilli and salad leaves.
- The quiet guitarist stooped in the gutter to pick up a bag of frozen chicken wings, a pack of custard creams and a small jar of piccalilli.
- He was accused of submitting claims for ‘inappropriate’ items, including metal fruit baskets, plastic holders for bathroom utensils, and even jars of piccalilli.
- When I was working in London we started to make our own piccalilli which is, in fact, very simple to do and used it in sandwiches.
- I enjoyed a very coarse ‘country terrine’ barded with a slice of something as thick as a steak, and served with mild home-made piccalilli.
- The original Piccalilli recipe dates back to English cookery in the mid 18th Century.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.