In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estimulante masculineI had a brandy as a pick-me-up — me tomé un cognac para levantarme el ánimo
- And shoppers in need of an instant pick-me-up will be able to visit the Oxygen Bar - an antidote to all vices with pure filtered oxygen delivered straight to an ailing metabolism.
- This means it can be a great pick-me-up as well as enhance numerous other physiological functions like fat loss, satiety, mood, mental focus and even sex drive.
- For a nation whose favourite hobby is shopping, the news that gas prices are going up should come as a positive pick-me-up, an irresistible invitation to go out and experiment with something new.
- In truth, it is their weekend pick-me-up; their only opportunity to hear and speak the language at which they worked all their student days.
- The best room is the honeymoon suite, a sprawling gold-themed love nest that is ideal for those seeking a romantic pick-me-up.
- Nevertheless, it is likely that all types of fishing that use a fixed spool reel will be the first thing to be banned on rivers that are deemed to be in need of a conservation pick-me-up.
- It is also likely to be taken by healthy individuals as a pick-me-up, as are other ‘lifestyle’ drugs.
- It tends to be the lower teams we struggle against so it will not be easy, but after a win-less February we are now looking at making it three wins on the trot in March which would be a real pick-me-up.
- If I need a pick-me-up I have them throw in a shot of espresso, but breakfast is all laid out when I get to the studio, so I eat a banana, a bowl of oatmeal or Rice Krispies.
- Power foods are a convenient pick-me-up and are good for you when used in combination with a wholesome diet of fruit, vegetable, grains, and proteins.
- It was a nice pick-me-up after writing the paper all night and being slightly stressed about the exam, which affected my sleep.
- At the end of term it is a fantastic pick-me-up for the whole school.
- I wouldn't go that far, but it is a wonderful pick-me-up.
- Herbal teas, or infusions, have become a pick-me-up for those down in the dumps, and a soothing drink when stress levels start soaring.
- It gives you a little pick-me-up, so, long may the good times continue…
- Once such colours must have worked as pick-me-ups for the tired soul; today they are more in tune with the lifestyle of the local people.
- Create permanent color changes and give your hair a great pick-me-up with at-home highlighting kits, now easier to use than ever.
- There could not have been a better pick-me-up for both of us.
- Call us superficial but any show called TOO MUCH SUGAR is enticing and expecting a quick pick-me-up we wandered into the Hall.
- It never fails, and the uncontrollable sniggering and whooping that follows is one of the best pick-me-ups prescribable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.