In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(museum) pinacoteca feminine(museum) museo masculine(shop) galería de arte feminine
- Barry's scheme included a magnificent picture gallery to house the finest of his paintings.
- He fostered many of the hospital foundlings and donated numerous paintings to the hospital's collection, establishing a permanent picture gallery.
- It was originally built as a picture gallery for a large private art collection, with a glass roof.
- By concentrating on high-quality acquisitions for the picture gallery, the engravings collection, and the library, he furthered those arts which were to develop most markedly in the bourgeois age.
- Beyond the picture gallery was the Earl's private chamber, its high walls hung with black mourning cloth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.