In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estupideces informalpaparruchas feminine informal
- I read a lot of facts most of which seemed absolute piffle, but I do think I ended up thinking that perhaps a properly controlled hunt is the best way of getting rid of a pest.
- So much for the strategic plan and the visionaries who drafted it, not to mention subsequent strategic plans whose piffle is somewhat more restrained, but no more helpful.
- Will you stop interrupting me with such piffle?
- I can't keep writing this piffle about this area alone, you know.
- But, in practice, a government can make up any old piffle and call a poll to suit its own agenda.
- I won't mention what this trite, simplistic, sloganeering piffle moves me to, but it has nothing to do with naming children.
- This sort of elitist piffle doubtless does wonders for the ego of those who espouse it, while pre-emptively discounting contrary opinions, which by definition originate in a philistine mindset.
- I guess in scary times such as those that are upon us now, we need diverting bits of piffle to raise our spirits.
- Yeah, I know, it's piffle, but it gives me a way to go forward.
- It isn't the sort of promotional piffle that usually finds its way onto DVD releases.
- And yet you know this is just more empty-headed piffle.
- A few relics of the pre-video area still survive, however, and Metro Cinema is bringing in two of the best examples of the rockumentary and one entertaining piece of piffle from those bygone days for your delectation.
- But there's a daunting heap of whimsical fairy-land nonsense and idiotic eastern-flavoured piffle to struggle through before you get to the bits you're likely to remember.
- This will be easy enough if you're a regular reader and thus fairly familiar with the sort of piffle I write here - but even if this isn't the case, give it a go.
- While I was waiting for him to call, I grew more and more afraid that he'd get angry at me for wasting his time with piffle.
- Talking sentimental piffle, he staggers over to Isobel before I had time to react.
- I have long been of the opinion that a considerable amount of piffle is spoken and written about the Irish language and the place and status it should have in our culture.
- In the grand scheme of things, our 300,000 people is a mere piffle.
- His conclusion may be largely correct - how he claims to arrive there is a pyramid of piffle.
- Can it really be true that he himself pens this trite piffle?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.