1hierro en lingotes masculine
- Steel manufactured in electric arc furnaces from scrap uses far less energy than traditional openhearth furnaces using pig iron.
- Energy-intensive blast furnaces, convert iron ore to pig iron, while coal is converted to coke.
- In the 1780s, Henry Cort developed the puddling furnace, which allowed pig iron to be refined in turn with coke.
- In the next two years when profits remained low, cargoes consisted mainly of iron ore, pig iron and some shipments of coal.
- The remaining methods for making steel do so by removing impurities from pig iron or a mixture of pig iron and steel scrap.