In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hierro en lingotes masculine
- Steel manufactured in electric arc furnaces from scrap uses far less energy than traditional openhearth furnaces using pig iron.
- Energy-intensive blast furnaces, convert iron ore to pig iron, while coal is converted to coke.
- In the 1780s, Henry Cort developed the puddling furnace, which allowed pig iron to be refined in turn with coke.
- In the next two years when profits remained low, cargoes consisted mainly of iron ore, pig iron and some shipments of coal.
- The remaining methods for making steel do so by removing impurities from pig iron or a mixture of pig iron and steel scrap.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.