In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1colombófilo masculinecolombófila feminine
- A champion pigeon fancier believes he was deliberately targeted by arsonists who burned down his loft and killed more than 60 of his prized birds.
- Neighbours are celebrating victory in their battle to get a pigeon fancier to remove his nuisance loft from a garden.
- I have been a pigeon fancier for over 20 years and have witnessed hawk attacks on dozens of birds.
- If you are a pigeon fancier, I'd keep very, very quiet about it.
- He was taken to a pigeon fancier and his identification ring was recognised.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.