In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(tablet)pastilla femininepíldora feminine
- She had been unable to obtain relief from over-the-counter medications, because she could not swallow pills.
- Don't leave medicines or pills lying around where children and toddlers can get at them.
- Your doctor may also ask you if you take any medicines such as birth control pills, laxatives or diet pills.
- The patient also may begin trying to take whole pills, one at a time, during this period rather than crushing them.
- Many have swallowed the bitter pill and tried again, often with salutiferous effects.
- Patients may miss appointments, may not actually swallow the pills, or may deliberately regurgitate the medications.
- Will we become immune to it and eventually need a whole pill to get the same results?
- He takes a cup of water and swallows the handful of pills in one gulp.
- If this is not helpful, your doctor may prescribe stronger steroids or antihistamine pills.
- Remember that herbal medicines and vitamin pills can also be dangerous if taken if large doses, so store these out of reach too.
- They may be inhaled or swallowed as a pill or liquid.
- The ability to swallow pills and pay for prescribed medication can also affect the outcome of therapy.
- He was a very bright, socially sensitive, and insightful young man whose complaint was that he could not swallow pills or capsules.
- I've been taking garlic pills, magnesium pills, an aspirin a day and vitamin C.
- Laxatives come as syrups, powders, and also as pills, which are swallowed or put inside the anus.
- Need for withdrawal from laxatives, diet pills, or diuretics.
- Most of us swallow our pills with a glass of juice or a swig of water.
1.2(contraceptive)the Pill — la píldora (anticonceptiva)
- to be/go on the Pill — tomar/empezar a tomar la píldora
2US informal, dated(boring, ineffectual person)pelmazo masculine informalpesado masculinepesada feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.