In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in baseball)batear de emergencia
- The Red Sox were losing 6-3 in the bottom of the eighth inning when I pinch-hit for Roger Moret.
- Jackson, who had been sitting out with a hamstring pull, actually did make an appearance in the game when he pinch-hit for Dick Green.
- Why didn't he pinch-hit for Dent, the weakest link in the Yankee batting order?
- Bob Bartum then pinch-hit for center fielder Don Landrum and hit a sacrifice fly to bring home the winning run.
- In a game against Baltimore last week, Manuel pinch-hit for Anderson after the Orioles brought in a lefthander.
2US informal(act as substitute)to pinch-hit for sb — sustituir a algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.