In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dress/fabric/paint) rosa(paint/dress/fabric) rosado Latin America(cheeks) sonrosadomy face went bright pink — me puse colorada
- Some of the later flowering hybrids are more unusual in their colour with pink trumpets and white petals.
- She had snow white skin, pink cheeks, and coal black hair.
- It was made from felt or something - light pink flesh coloured stuffed material with brown curls fanning out.
- Maureen Brennan was the height of summer fashion in a beautiful white skirt and pink top.
- Everything remains white, less a pink shag rug, and two paintings of Lower East Side landscapes from an artist I met at a bar.
- Walker, wearing a light pink skirt and white shirt, showed little emotion as her sentence was read out at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court.
- On closer inspection, I noticed that his tail was droopy, and one of this back legs seems to be very pink under the white socks.
- We are standing in a spacious kitchen painted a dusky pink colour that, were it a lipstick or nail varnish, would be called Plum Beautiful or Berry Sorbet.
- Skin white as porcelain and rosy pink cheeks, not too distinct, dances in the light.
- Bear in mind, too, that the rosy pink colour of this product is produced by feeding the fish chemical dye.
- Her glass carriage was drawn by four white horses decorated with pink plumage and two coach men dressed in white suits, pink ties and top hats.
- I have chuckled at conservative white men in pink shorts.
- My nose is an attractive pink colour, as are my cheeks.
- With its pink colour, it was originally intended as the definitive women's drink, though that role is now occupied by the rather less prosaic Red Bull and vodka.
- You get a very intense light coming off these clouds as the sun reflects on them, with colours of bright pink yellow and intense white at the core.
- The walls were painted a pale almost fleshy pink colour (what might be described as anaemic salmon).
- I turned back to the mirror, taking in my smoky eyes and light pink lipstick, with rosy cheeks.
- Remove the pink corals from the white scallops then wrap strips of smoked salmon round the sides of the scallops.
- Hot pink hearts on white paper are always a big hit.
- The skin should be smooth and have a white or light pink colour.
2informal(slightly left-wing)rojillo informal
- However, the pink revolution failed with the victory of a hardliner.
1(color)rosa masculinerosado masculine Latin Americato be in the pink — estar en plena forma
2hunting pinkcasaca roja de caza femininechaqueta roja de caza feminine
- As edging plants I'd use chives, compact Alpine strawberries and edible flowers such as old-fashioned pinks, violas and marigolds.
- Grape hyacinths, Pulmonaria, rock cress, azaleas, lilacs, wallflowers and pinks furnish nectar in early and mid-spring.
- A brief overview of the different characteristics of carnations, pinks, and sweet Williams will perhaps help you to make wise choices for your garden.
- These included lilacs, lindens, Virginia creeper, marigolds, sunflowers, honeysuckle, pinks, and daisies.
- Don't plant daisies, pinks, dianthus and carnations.
1(cut with pinking shears)(cloth) cortar con tijera dentada
- Ornamental gauntlets with swirling embroidery and pinked edges were patented by F. Farrant.
- Fancier edge stitches could include binding with Lycra, blanket stitch, pinking, overcast with the serger, or turning under and stitching.
2(decorate with holes)(cloth/leather) calar
3(in fencing)(chest/person) pinchar
con el florete
- Eventually I gave up trying to accelerate hard because the engine started pinking, which seemed to get worse as time went by, so maybe it was running below par.
- This is known as pinking, and can be identified by a knocking sound coming from the engine.
- Between lines, Tioxide is not denying that TC30 could cause pinking but considers it is Hydropolymer's problem not ours’.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.