In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The pistil and the stamen of the flowers are the specialized organs responsible for the reproductive processes.
- Most of the flowers have a pistil longer than the anthers.
- Silks and glumes were removed from the pistils for separate analyses.
- In addition, there was a negative correlation between the number of stamens and the number of pistils within female flowers.
- Five pistils were dissected from flowers and the stigmas and styles were mounted on aluminium stubs using carbon paste.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.