In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pistola femininerevólver masculineto hold a pistol to sb's head — poner a algn entre la espada y la pared
- Jay stood back up and pulled out his small emergency laser pistol.
- Williams was carrying a loaded air pistol in his pocket.
- The business man agreed as he pulled out a laser pistol from his back holster.
- There's nowhere to run… but there's a .40 caliber pistol in your hand.
- In addition, most Rangers had one or more single-shot flintlock pistols of varied design and manufacture.
- She aimed the loaded pistol at the officer who looked up with a startled expression.
- Each vehicle should be assigned an M9 pistol.
- Only that and the dull metallic sheen of the flintlock pistol clutched firmly in his hand.
- Historically, the Walther PP was the first commercially successful double-action semiautomatic pistol.
- He was then apparently detained by palace staff but drew a 9mm pistol and shot himself in the head.
- In his hand he carried a pistol which was pointed at Carter.
- Each man had a pistol on his right hip and a shotgun of his back.
- Taking direct fire, and outnumbered, he pressed forward, firing his M9 pistol at enemy forces.
- Miss Dando's killer used a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.
- Caine drew his pistol from its holster and leveled its muzzle at the approaching Carey.
- The glint of the silenced pistol was seen as Timothy drew out the weapon.
- My grandmother carried a loaded pistol in her purse.
- A figure in the shadows behind a dumpster aimed a Swiss automatic pistol.
- He quickly opened the door to his apartment and ran into it with his .45 caliber pistol in hand.
- Aruna pulled out a small pistol from a shoulder holster.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.