In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1perro de la familia del bulterrier
- In England, when they decided to ban the American pit bull terrier, they immediately had trouble identifying the dog.
- He went out one day when his pit bull was still a puppy, and it decided to chew stuff up, the way a puppy does.
- Alex looked on at Nina, the puppy pit bull, and laughed as she pulled Andrea's swim shorts down with her teeth.
- My puppy was attacked by a pit bull while the owner watched.
- I see nothing wrong with having pets in these areas, but the dog pictured appears to be a pit bull.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.