In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1minigolf masculinegolfito masculine Latin America
- Tom is a former keen sportsman, he played junior soccer and loved the game of pitch and putt.
- We go somewhere all the time be it pitch and putt, swimming or bocce.
- He died on Sunday pursuing his favourite pastime of pitch and putt on his local course where he was club chairman.
- So it's the weekend, and yet again we find ourselves on Sandwell Valley Park Farm golf course - this time for a bit of pitch and putt.
- He had played pitch and putt by then but, he admits, golf is an altogether different proposition.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.