In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After four games it is clear that City could well be looking at a bottom four or six placing and the disastrous consequences that would have on the club.
- As the penultimate race of the four race The Greatest Race Series, this result improved the UK's overall placing in the integrated Nation's Challenge to fifth position.
- Uunfortunately due to a mid-season virus suffered by the York rider he missed earlier rounds in the series and was out of the running for a top overall placing.
- The placing takes her on to one of 19 regional finals due to be held countrywide in early March, and from which the top four in each make the national championship.
- They finished runners-up to Leicester in the Zurich Premiership in May, which is the club's highest placing since the introduction of leagues.
- New South Wales and the Bulls can also finish in a semi-final placing, although the Bulls are a longshot due to a poorer plus-minus rating in points scored.
- I found the choice of finalists and the final placings surprising personally, but there were compensations.
- Before the game their players arranged a private meeting in which they pledged to make amends for a disappointing league placing.
- Tomorrow Town entertain Blackrod Town in a game they will be looking to win to improve their league placing.
- He has also figured in the top ten in the British Championships for the last five years but this year's placing of third is his highest.
- The men's team finished in a lowly ninth position - their worst placing for 36 years - after losing four of their six games in Athens.
- Ilkley finish fourth in this highly competitive Yorkshire league one, their highest ever league placing since the inception of the league system.
- He puts his club's drop in crowds down to their high placing last season.
- The next £2.25m is dependent on final league placings and the remaining half of the amount is hitched to number of TV appearances.
- His placing, however, is not good enough to earn him an automatic place in September's European 24-hour Championships.
- This was to be a night of celebration, the Dalesmen having achieved promotion to Yorkshire league one, effectively their highest league placing ever, and celebration it certainly was.
- The Old Station Fisheries came second and the Village Stores won a certificate of merit with its placing at joint fifth.
- This follows their second place and silver medal placing at the 2001 IAAF World Championships in Edmonton.
- When I'm out there I will be running against the clock rather than thinking in terms of placing.
- This is destined to become a great book of the Canadian experience as its constant placing in the nation's best-seller list confirms.
- It also raised €5.7 million after a placing of shares last September.
- The placing of 106 million shares will be priced at the close of business on October 18 and the shares will begin trading one week later.
- The placing was six times oversubscribed, but Melly says the company was more interested in getting a mixture of backers with different areas of expertise rather than one big investor.
- On December 23, 1983, the company authorised a placing of 2.5 million shares at £6.
- A further private placing later this year was more likely than a flotation in order to raise additional funds.
- Moreover much of the cost of acquiring Northern Bank - if it becomes available - can be met from surplus capital and will probably require only a modest placing of shares.
- The market reacted badly to the placing of new shares to help finance the deal which provides Eureko with £250m in cash and £128m in new FP shares.
- This unofficial placing could create an amount of overhang in the coming months.
- However, the share placing is expected to satisfy the current demand for the stock, which will limit the upside potential in the shares over the short term.
- The placing is believed to have been oversubscribed by two and a half times.
- This deal was announced in the same release that the company announced the share placing which raised approximately stg £1.6 million.
- The placing raised £270m less than it hoped on Thursday further confirming that shareholders have major doubts about Crosby's strategy.
- The company had hoped to raise up to $60m through a placing of five million shares at between $10 and $12 each.
- According to the Independent, the placing of shares was at least five times subscribed.
- It has been muddling through with sub- £1m share placings and the sale of warrants, but a bigger placing is now being mooted.
- Share placings usually transpire around the time a company delivers positive results to the market.
- The placing shares will in fact cost HK $10.77 each, as Hang Lung has proposed to pay 33 cents a share as a final dividend.
- The placing is a big one for the market to swallow, but there is said to be a lot of interest by institutions in the shares.
- A further £20m will be sold by investors in the company through the institutional placing arranged by Goldman Sachs.
- However, the share price has been depressed recently following the placing of 260 million shares at 0.5p each.
- The placing of stakes of majority shareholders Bank held by Scotland and Harcourt Holdings amounted to 25 per cent of the stock.
- The deals were funded by £14.5m raised in a placing of 72.5 million shares and £37.9m of debt from Bank of Scotland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.