1(sound) (mournful) plañidero(sound) (deep, loud) retumbante
- The blend of music theatrical ebullience, popular styles, and evocative, plangent tone pictures about the legendary 4th century saint evinces much of the best of his early style.
- In outline, his play sounds like plangent melodrama.
- As the guitar's tone is intrinsically less plangent than the oboe's, the character of the music is greatly altered in this work too.
- He creates a tone that is, appropriately, melancholy and plangent; at times quite painfully beautiful.
- He has a rather different sort of voice, just as well-schooled but with a juicier, more plangent tone that he uses to achieve the expressive effects and vocal colors that make his style so arresting.