In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(substance)plástico masculine(bag/cup/chair) (before noun) de plásticoit is made of plastic — es de plástico
- plastic card — tarjeta de plástico
- plastic mac — chubasquero
- plastic money — dinero de plástico
- The case is made of light-gray plastic.
- The Dublin company is one of Europe's leading producers of clear sheet plastic, with a 30 per cent share in that market.
- A bill to deal with beverage containers would discourage the use of plastic by imposing a levy on manufacturers who use plastic bottles, and would encourage the return and recycling of bottles.
- Water bottles have expiration dates, not because the water goes bad, but because the plastic which stores the water affects the taste.
- People were wearing dust masks and everything stank of burnt plastic.
- One woman carried a picture frame encased in transparent plastic.
- Do not put either glass or plastic in hot water; they may crack, especially if cold.
- We had curbside recycling for paper, plastic, glass and tin cans.
- Most plastics, varnishes and packaging foams are made from chemicals derived from petroleum.
- There was a time when outdoor furniture was either teak, aluminum, or plastic.
- Protect your furniture and carpet by laying down plastic, then newspaper.
- Her house is a shack made of sticks, black plastic and a few sheets of tin.
2informal(credit cards)plástico masculine informaltarjetas de crédito femininelet's pay by plastic — paguemos con tarjeta
- The number of credit and store cards has doubled to 74 million, which means that every adult holds two pieces of credit plastic in his or her wallet.
- They buy chips in dollars with credit cards and have their winnings refunded back to the plastic.
- Getting them to embrace plastic may be an impossible feat.
- Each plastic card resembles a credit card, but is in fact a completely self contained microcomputer with its own embedded software and memory.
- Check out the fantastic plastic in our Credit Card centre.
- I wouldn't like to have a cheque book or plastic.
- At the same time, AmEx will step up its drive to wean large companies and small businesses from checks to corporate plastic.
- So, you'd be barking mad to use any plastic abroad, other than a Nationwide BS or SAGA card.
- Some feared that the charges would erode the card's upscale position as the premium-priced plastic.
- However, in the meantime, play safe: take as much care with your loyalty cards as you do with your cash and other plastic.
- If you've got money in the bank then using plastic shouldn't be a problem.
- If your new plastic is a ‘% only on balance transfers’ card, you won't be going shopping with it.
- Did you know that if you laid all of Britain's credit and debt cards end-to-end, the line of plastic would stretch from London to Bangkok?
- Swapping your expensive plastic for a credit card that charges no interest on balance transfers and purchases for up to nine months.
- Anxious to be a-doing, I hied myself to an Office Depot in the South of Market district and laid down some plastic for a Palm Vx.
- She lives within a strict budget, and the only plastic in her wallet is a debit card.
- These cards are ideal for users of plastic who always pay off their account each month.
- Check out our Credit Card centre for your perfect plastic.
- Instead, I poke my piece of plastic into a slot and get my money.
- Hence, with so much plastic in circulation, Britain needs to treat its credit cards with respect.
1derogatory(bland, artificial)(people/smile) de plástico derogatory
- From time to time I still dig out my Elvis ring or wear my Charlie Brown necklace to relive the nostalgia - it always makes me smile to see the plastic shiny silliness of it all.
- Her eyes did not linger long on them, she felt as if they were superficial, fake, plastic.
- Every time I fly into New Zealand I get a lump in my throat, but I'm always convinced it's the plastic airline food.
- It's refreshing to see that there is so much creativity in this plastic world we're in.
- A study conducted a few years ago with Downs Syndrome children called for some of them to be trained to smile, even if it was just a plastic smile.
- Mom smiled politely with a plastic giggle here and there.
- She looks up at me with a plastic smile, almost challenging me to argue with her.
- I could feel her trying to fight back the tears and sadness she had felt all these years, hidden behind a plastic smile put on so she wouldn't upset Dad.
- For a boy who has appeared fatigued and cynical in the last few months it was an incredible performance - funny, charismatic and sung in a voice that is rare in these days of phoney plastic bands.
- She gave me a totally plastic smile and waved her hand at me.
- They both stopped and flashed plastic smiles when the harried young man made eye contact with them.
- She smiled at her with a cold, plastic smile.
- Next week, our fake plastic love for Radiohead.
- After she broke down in the dressing room, all she could try to do was fake a plastic smile and pray that it will be over soon.
- Giving him a plastic smile, Lenore headed towards the stables.
- ‘Everything about him was right,’ she bleats, apparently failing to notice that he had a fake plastic face.
- I know that you've seen his plastic smile on a thousand eager faces before.
- There will be no air hostesses to flash their plastic smiles!
- I flashed a sweet plastic smile and turned away, trying to walk on unsteady feet towards the door leading to the elevator banks.
- She looks at me and puts on a plastic smile. ‘Sir, it will take about ten minutes if you don't mind waiting.’
- The stress at which plastic deformation or yielding is observed to begin depends on the sensitivity of the strain measurements.
- He postulated that the energy due to plastic deformation must be added to the surface energy associated with the creation of new crack surfaces.
- Normally, such plastic deformations result in developing smooth or gently wrinkled boundary surfaces.
- In crystalline solids, plastic deformation tends to be confined to crystallographic planes of atoms which have a low resistance to shear.
- AFM data, described below, also did not show any obvious plastic deformation after repeated indentation.
- Ruptures originating at plastic deformations of loaded sand bed formed stretch marks with sand penetrating through them to the clay.
- A significant amount of the total plastic deformation therefore occurs in the microcracks grow and link up in the final stages of fracture.
- Increases in axle loads and tyre pressures are creating plastic strain in some crushed rocks with sprayed seal and thin asphalt surfacings.
- To a significant extent the siltstone has been transformed into a plastic material, particularly near shear zones.
- Thus rigid pipes are less sensitive to crushing and more sensitive to plastic deformation and buckling than their flexible equivalents.
- This is a thin film that's been coated onto a flexible plastic material backed by a strong glue.
- Wet into wet, and the use of salt or alcohol in wet paint suggested the plastic foam material from which the noodles are made.
- Meanwhile, polymer scientists are doing fundamental research, seeking ever more conductive plastic materials.
- Little or no plastic deformation is seen in tracheid walls in ring 26, which is the last ring formed in the tree.
- The NDT is the temperature at which fracture initiates with essentially no prior plastic deformation.
- Similar dynamics is observed in the plastic deformation of solids, in particular glasses.
- Heat is also released by plastic deformation associated with jetting and ripple formation at the interface between the parts being welded.
- Any attempt to do so results in greater deformation of the rolls, without any plastic deformation of the strip.
- New materials have come from the chemical industry and from the molecular engineering of new plastic substances.
- Yielding occurs from point A to point B and this is the area of plastic deformation.
- It should also be added that the fine precipitate particles can act as dislocation multiplication centers during plastic deformation.
- These products have little or no effect on the plastic or hardened properties of concrete.
- This limits local concentrations of plastic deformation and suppresses fatigue damage.
- They are working on making the cells into a flexible plastic material.
- The main component of this deformation is the plastic strain of cell walls.
- At this point, they are still moving around pretty fast, so they are bounced around in a nearby plastic material.
- Therefore, micropipette aspiration deforms the cell with a mixture of elastic and plastic deformations.
- The process to make the cap includes positioning viscous plastic material in a mold to produce the desired retention member shape.
- There was asphalt cracking due to tensile strain resulting from plastic deformation within the crushed rock.
2.2Artplásticothe plastic arts — las artes plásticas
- Four principal types of source pertain to the subject: literature, works of graphic or plastic art, archaeological remains, and notated pieces of music.
- Study of his comments on plastic dynamism confirm this reading.
- You can't make art - literary or plastic - without taking on the matter of form.
- ‘We will be looking at using the Pickering plant for plastic moulding work not related to the car industry,’ he said.
- The topic was also addressed for several day through works of plastic art and performances.
- To the ancient Greeks, the body was an object of esthetic contemplation, raised by their plastic art to the loftiest peaks of sublimity.
- What others had done for poetic art, this he did for plastic art.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.