In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(substance)plástico masculine(chair/bag/cup) de plásticoit is made of plastic — es de plástico
- plastic card — tarjeta de plástico
- plastic mac — impermeable
- plastic money — dinero de plástico
- Protect your furniture and carpet by laying down plastic, then newspaper.
- People were wearing dust masks and everything stank of burnt plastic.
- Most plastics, varnishes and packaging foams are made from chemicals derived from petroleum.
- The case is made of light-gray plastic.
- A bill to deal with beverage containers would discourage the use of plastic by imposing a levy on manufacturers who use plastic bottles, and would encourage the return and recycling of bottles.
- We had curbside recycling for paper, plastic, glass and tin cans.
- Her house is a shack made of sticks, black plastic and a few sheets of tin.
- Water bottles have expiration dates, not because the water goes bad, but because the plastic which stores the water affects the taste.
- There was a time when outdoor furniture was either teak, aluminum, or plastic.
- One woman carried a picture frame encased in transparent plastic.
- The Dublin company is one of Europe's leading producers of clear sheet plastic, with a 30 per cent share in that market.
- Do not put either glass or plastic in hot water; they may crack, especially if cold.
2informal(credit cards)plástico masculine informaltarjetas de crédito femininelet's pay by plastic — paguemos con tarjeta
- They buy chips in dollars with credit cards and have their winnings refunded back to the plastic.
- Instead, I poke my piece of plastic into a slot and get my money.
- Swapping your expensive plastic for a credit card that charges no interest on balance transfers and purchases for up to nine months.
- Anxious to be a-doing, I hied myself to an Office Depot in the South of Market district and laid down some plastic for a Palm Vx.
- Hence, with so much plastic in circulation, Britain needs to treat its credit cards with respect.
- Did you know that if you laid all of Britain's credit and debt cards end-to-end, the line of plastic would stretch from London to Bangkok?
- However, in the meantime, play safe: take as much care with your loyalty cards as you do with your cash and other plastic.
- These cards are ideal for users of plastic who always pay off their account each month.
- I wouldn't like to have a cheque book or plastic.
- Check out the fantastic plastic in our Credit Card centre.
- Each plastic card resembles a credit card, but is in fact a completely self contained microcomputer with its own embedded software and memory.
- If your new plastic is a ‘% only on balance transfers’ card, you won't be going shopping with it.
- She lives within a strict budget, and the only plastic in her wallet is a debit card.
- Some feared that the charges would erode the card's upscale position as the premium-priced plastic.
- So, you'd be barking mad to use any plastic abroad, other than a Nationwide BS or SAGA card.
- The number of credit and store cards has doubled to 74 million, which means that every adult holds two pieces of credit plastic in his or her wallet.
- If you've got money in the bank then using plastic shouldn't be a problem.
- Getting them to embrace plastic may be an impossible feat.
- At the same time, AmEx will step up its drive to wean large companies and small businesses from checks to corporate plastic.
- Check out our Credit Card centre for your perfect plastic.
1derogatory(bland, artificial)(smile/people) de plástico derogatory
- After she broke down in the dressing room, all she could try to do was fake a plastic smile and pray that it will be over soon.
- Next week, our fake plastic love for Radiohead.
- Giving him a plastic smile, Lenore headed towards the stables.
- She looks up at me with a plastic smile, almost challenging me to argue with her.
- For a boy who has appeared fatigued and cynical in the last few months it was an incredible performance - funny, charismatic and sung in a voice that is rare in these days of phoney plastic bands.
- A study conducted a few years ago with Downs Syndrome children called for some of them to be trained to smile, even if it was just a plastic smile.
- I know that you've seen his plastic smile on a thousand eager faces before.
- They both stopped and flashed plastic smiles when the harried young man made eye contact with them.
- Mom smiled politely with a plastic giggle here and there.
- I flashed a sweet plastic smile and turned away, trying to walk on unsteady feet towards the door leading to the elevator banks.
- She smiled at her with a cold, plastic smile.
- Every time I fly into New Zealand I get a lump in my throat, but I'm always convinced it's the plastic airline food.
- She looks at me and puts on a plastic smile. ‘Sir, it will take about ten minutes if you don't mind waiting.’
- It's refreshing to see that there is so much creativity in this plastic world we're in.
- There will be no air hostesses to flash their plastic smiles!
- Her eyes did not linger long on them, she felt as if they were superficial, fake, plastic.
- From time to time I still dig out my Elvis ring or wear my Charlie Brown necklace to relive the nostalgia - it always makes me smile to see the plastic shiny silliness of it all.
- She gave me a totally plastic smile and waved her hand at me.
- I could feel her trying to fight back the tears and sadness she had felt all these years, hidden behind a plastic smile put on so she wouldn't upset Dad.
- ‘Everything about him was right,’ she bleats, apparently failing to notice that he had a fake plastic face.
- AFM data, described below, also did not show any obvious plastic deformation after repeated indentation.
- New materials have come from the chemical industry and from the molecular engineering of new plastic substances.
- Thus rigid pipes are less sensitive to crushing and more sensitive to plastic deformation and buckling than their flexible equivalents.
- Little or no plastic deformation is seen in tracheid walls in ring 26, which is the last ring formed in the tree.
- They are working on making the cells into a flexible plastic material.
- Increases in axle loads and tyre pressures are creating plastic strain in some crushed rocks with sprayed seal and thin asphalt surfacings.
- Similar dynamics is observed in the plastic deformation of solids, in particular glasses.
- Therefore, micropipette aspiration deforms the cell with a mixture of elastic and plastic deformations.
- Ruptures originating at plastic deformations of loaded sand bed formed stretch marks with sand penetrating through them to the clay.
- He postulated that the energy due to plastic deformation must be added to the surface energy associated with the creation of new crack surfaces.
- This limits local concentrations of plastic deformation and suppresses fatigue damage.
- Heat is also released by plastic deformation associated with jetting and ripple formation at the interface between the parts being welded.
- Yielding occurs from point A to point B and this is the area of plastic deformation.
- In crystalline solids, plastic deformation tends to be confined to crystallographic planes of atoms which have a low resistance to shear.
- There was asphalt cracking due to tensile strain resulting from plastic deformation within the crushed rock.
- A significant amount of the total plastic deformation therefore occurs in the microcracks grow and link up in the final stages of fracture.
- Any attempt to do so results in greater deformation of the rolls, without any plastic deformation of the strip.
- These products have little or no effect on the plastic or hardened properties of concrete.
- Wet into wet, and the use of salt or alcohol in wet paint suggested the plastic foam material from which the noodles are made.
- The process to make the cap includes positioning viscous plastic material in a mold to produce the desired retention member shape.
- The stress at which plastic deformation or yielding is observed to begin depends on the sensitivity of the strain measurements.
- The NDT is the temperature at which fracture initiates with essentially no prior plastic deformation.
- At this point, they are still moving around pretty fast, so they are bounced around in a nearby plastic material.
- Meanwhile, polymer scientists are doing fundamental research, seeking ever more conductive plastic materials.
- Normally, such plastic deformations result in developing smooth or gently wrinkled boundary surfaces.
- To a significant extent the siltstone has been transformed into a plastic material, particularly near shear zones.
- This is a thin film that's been coated onto a flexible plastic material backed by a strong glue.
- It should also be added that the fine precipitate particles can act as dislocation multiplication centers during plastic deformation.
- The main component of this deformation is the plastic strain of cell walls.
2.2Artplásticothe plastic arts — las artes plásticas
- What others had done for poetic art, this he did for plastic art.
- You can't make art - literary or plastic - without taking on the matter of form.
- Study of his comments on plastic dynamism confirm this reading.
- The topic was also addressed for several day through works of plastic art and performances.
- To the ancient Greeks, the body was an object of esthetic contemplation, raised by their plastic art to the loftiest peaks of sublimity.
- ‘We will be looking at using the Pickering plant for plastic moulding work not related to the car industry,’ he said.
- Four principal types of source pertain to the subject: literature, works of graphic or plastic art, archaeological remains, and notated pieces of music.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.