In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(raised structure)plataforma femininemasculine estradofeminine tribunamasculine estrado
- Escalators and elevators await arriving passengers from both subway platforms at the Howard Beach station.
- They land on the platform of the railway station.
- A family of drunken louts have been sent to jail for train hooliganism and fighting police on the platform of York Railway Station.
- It is within sight of the main platform of the train station but inaccessible except by car or a long trudge down suburban streets.
- Workers created a railway platform and dressed up as characters from the hugely popular children's books.
- The camera fast tracks along a London train station platform as the passengers disembark and rush toward us.
- In March 1955 family members paid a penny each to venture onto the platform at York Railway Station to wave off newly-weds Gladys and Bernard Hewitt.
- They also say that loving someone, even though you know that particular someone will never love you back, is like waiting at the platform of a train station for a taxicab.
- The grainy footage, broadcast on television, showed other passengers on the platform and on the train looking stunned.
- The Prince of Wales got a warm welcome when he stepped on to the platform at Skipton Railway Station on Monday for his fourth visit to the area in as many years.
- When did you know you would create a subway platform?
- If passengers have tickets or if someone is on the platform, the train stops.
- Incidents of vandalism, rowdiness and violence on trains and railway platforms have been well documented in the pages of the Keighley News.
- There is also a platform for special passenger trains that is only in use when a race is on.
- While effective separation on mainline long-distance passenger trains was long entrenched, station platforms and suburban trains in the Cape were not so tightly controlled.
- A replica of the elephant Bholu stands on the platform, welcoming the visitors into the 12-coach exhibition on wheels.
- We saw one passenger running on the platform trying to get the train to stop with no luck.
- It means that goods can be transferred on passenger platforms on the railways - perfect for low-volume rail distribution in remote areas or even city centres.
- Rail chiefs say the whistle is so loud it makes passengers hurry onto trains rather than dawdling along the platform - and makes trains stick to timetables.
- Strathclyde Police spent six hours looking for the boy until he was noticed by railway staff on the platform of Macclesfield Station in Cheshire shortly before 9pm.
1.3(on bus)plataforma feminine
- The climax of the journey is the viewing platform on the top level.
- You stand on the viewing platform and squint, trying to work out who the guy with the moustache and glasses is.
- While you're here you can make the pilgrimage to Ground Zero and stand on the viewing platform to stare at the stony emptiness below.
- A clumsy addition will detract from its appearance, but a modern glass extension at ground level or a viewing platform at the top could provide an exciting contrast to the stone facade and give you plenty of light.
- To the north of the block, a tower rises to provide a viewing platform that overlooks the whole site.
- Standing on another lofty viewing platform, visitors could experience the exhibition itself in a similar way.
- Workers wear special harnesses and stand on carefully constructed platforms, supported by a scaffolding system that is almost as complex and labyrinthine as the bridge itself.
- There is also a very unusual raised wooden platform with the bed at its heart.
- Lawrence grabbed the gun on the platform in front of him.
- A guard had dropped another large execution device they were carrying up the stairs to the raised wooden platform.
- They stood on the platform and they were beamed down to the surface.
- The plans are believed to include provisions for a public viewing platform at the top of the structure.
- The six stood on the landing platform at the base of the yacht's ramp and simply stared at each other for a few seconds.
- Dustin decided to run; Poe was still hoisting Gin up onto the rock platform he stood on, and couldn't help him.
- The lord and his family ate on a raised platform at one end of the hall.
- They go to stand on the viewing platform, teetering like divers on the precipice of hell, and click their camera shutters at the 16 acres of emptiness below.
- A group of Tafe students have got their hands dirty, building a viewing platform that overlooks Sunset Beach.
- Consider the fact that a rider can stand still on its platform, supported only by two wheels on either side, and not roll off in either direction.
- A tall hooded figure, standing on the platform, raised a rose standard high above his head.
- It now sits at Fort William, complete with a viewing platform and floodlighting for visitors to observe the train revolving.
(opportunity to air views)plataforma femininetribuna feminine
- He has stayed to have a platform for his views on Europe.
- The congress served as a platform for celebrating the policies of the new French government and its right-wing leaders.
- Last series, he interviewed the Burmese ambassador to Britain under the guise of ‘giving him a platform to express his views’.
- ‘My hope is that Checkpoint can give a platform to these other voices, these other perspectives,’ he says.
- And we will give them a platform for their views.
- They also provide an employee with an opportunity to clear the air, express opinions about how their own expectations have or have not been met, and provide a platform for them to voice any grievances.
- Everybody has a view and their own set of interests and the Web provides a valid platform for sharing this voice.
- It's not just that there are more than 500 sessions - but virtually every session in turn has a range of different views on the platform.
- Heller has given a platform to many other voices.
- Under Russia's media laws it is prohibited to give terrorists a platform to voice their views.
- I'm not a particularly political person, and this space, over the years, has never been a platform for my personal views or beliefs.
- With Underground Codes, she provides a platform for a national discussion on race and crime in America.
- This new programme will deal with topical issues and news stories of the day and provide a platform for listeners' views.
- I may not like the idea of the woman's views being given a platform with no critique, but that is a valid editorial decision.
- A few months later, when the research project was completed, Women Without Borders was officially launched to provide a platform where voices of women could be heard.
- Well, it's a great opportunity to have a platform on which you can get out the ideas that you think work.
- This is why it never even occurred to Rudd or Gillard to utilise the leadership contest as a platform to elaborate policy differences and fight to win new adherents.
- I can't help but feel that I should take advantage of this opportunity of a free platform to say something.
- People, young and old, from across all communities, races and creeds have had a platform to express those views.
- This has become an important event providing a platform for views and performances.
(program)plataforma feminineprograma masculine
- He was also a leading figure in the drafting of the Republican Party's national security platform in the 2000 election.
- Today, a sense of the common good, while retaining a central place in Catholic thought, does not fit easily into the platform of either political party.
- When I was federal Labor spokeswoman on employment I incorporated social enterprises into the party's election platform.
- The Democratic Party platform called for federal aid to education administered by the states.
- The referendum was part of the Liberal party's election platform.
- In 1980, however, the Democratic Party platform explicitly declared its support for the Supreme Court's ruling.
- However, to everyone's surprise, he almost won a seat in the election by running on a radical platform the Democratic Party had been unwilling to take up.
- Even the state sovereign immunity and anti-commandeering cases seem to comport with the Republican Party platform.
- The passage of the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is listed in the Republican Party platform as one of the successes of the Bush administration.
- But line up conservative religious values next to the current platform of the Republican party and the pieces fit like a jigsaw puzzle.
- The Party platform and election policy are the items of faith upon which trade unions and their members commit to work for the election of Labor Governments.
- The 1964 platform of the Republican Party did allow tax credits for those burdened by the costs of higher education.
- We refer him to Labor Party policy and platform and suggest that if he has signed his membership forms, the rest should follow naturally.
- In the course of the press conference the elected officials sought to distance themselves from anything in the Green Party platform that remotely resembled socialism.
- Another encouraging development was the Democratic Party platform of 1916.
- A vote for me will not be wasted, but will be a vote for a socialist political platform.
- Who's to say you can't elect a party on a platform of elimination of government in a democratic system?
- I also say a big thank you to the people in the Labour Party who accepted this measure as a policy platform at the last election.
- The Republican Party platform of 1952 included a vehement attack on communists.
- Some radical followers demanded more socialism in the party platform.
3.1(on shoe)plataforma feminine
- I chose a red tube top, black denim mini skirt with matching black denim jacket and red strappy platforms.
- I wore a stretchy blank tank top, faded jeans, and platform sandals.
- She was wearing black platform boots that were laced up with silver lace.
- I also had on my PVC jeans and high-heeled platform boots if I remember rightly.
- And of course, it is only in the world of Miuccia that it's ok to wear stockings with sandal platforms and still look so elegant.
- Shannon spotted Mel lingering in the middle of the commons area, so she high-tailed it as fast as she could in her thick platforms.
- He comes with a collection of satin platforms, kitten heels and jewel-encrusted flats, and if shoes aren't your bag, maybe handbags are.
- ‘My name is Tzachi,’ he said with an accent as thick as his platforms.
- After several seasons of wedgies and platforms reigning supreme on the streets and in the malls, this year, heels run the gamut.
- These leather sandals aren't platforms, but they look so glamorous that I couldn't resist mentioning them.
- Her boots were tall platforms that extended to her mid-thigh.
- They were knee boots, shiny black platforms with shiny silver buckles.
- One participant completed the course dressed as Wonder Woman in red, glittery platform boots.
- She also wore her platform sandal shoes which she brought from home.
- And I really want those platform shoes seen at the end of this collection!
- These platforms are about 3 inches high but they are amazingly comfortable I would say even more comfortable than my 1 inch shoes.
- Whatever, I know that I want to wear those 7 " platform heels that I bought in Brighton.
- For women, the silhouette has slimmed down from chunky platforms to a flat with a low or stiletto heel.
- There was fashion in footwear too, with a mix of high-heels and platforms, though the trend was to keep it simple and comfortable.
- With conventional high heels, the length from ball to heel of a woman's foot limits the shoes' height, but there is no limit with platforms.
3.2also platform shoezapato de plataforma masculinetopolino masculine Spain
- We plan to support more hardware platforms and operating systems.
- One aspect of using hardware platforms for enabling software is that it inevitably requires porting of existing software solutions onto the platform.
- A common hardware platform can make this task easier.
- Multiple hardware platforms for digital photography can currently be used in a pathology laboratory.
- The number of devices, screen sizes, operating platforms, and support levels for small-screen browsing is mind-numbing.
- The days of multiple hardware platforms and operating systems working with multiple databases and software configurations within one enterprise are coming to a close.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.