In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Games Sportjugador masculinejugadora femininehe's a keen tennis player — le gusta mucho jugar al tenis River Plate Spain
- In what other sport do the players line up at the end of a playoff series to shake hands?
- No matter how important or intense the game, players are affected by events off the field.
- That said, the position still boasts some of the fiercest and most physical players in the game.
- The idea is to get the players playing at game speed so they can get a feel for what is ahead.
- The hit from Boughner was just one of many collisions hockey players face every game.
- Baseball is a sport and players need to decide whether they play the game for the love of the game or for economics.
- Most times, revenge in sports motivates a player for a few minutes or maybe a game.
- It's a totally different spectacle from the one in which you have four evenly balanced players playing the team game.
- Were you a footballer or a cricketer or a tennis player, something like that?
- Several players expressed grave concerns about the toll gambling could be taking.
- We need to add players that play the game well, not wear Tom Brady jerseys to practice.
- Ndunda said morale was high in the squad ahead of the game tomorrow and the players were looking forward to the clash.
- He joins us this week on the Sports Factor to talk about the game, the players and what he's learned.
- Many water polo players get started by playing for a local club or high school team.
- The game is now a non-contact sport and yet players are spending a lot more time on the floor.
- That makes it a wonderful opportunity to play against the best player the game has ever seen.
- Skiba says that many football players now sport a garment called compression shorts.
- The class is designed to accommodate all athletes and sports players at suitable indoor training.
- Was he saying the Americans tried to put Brazil's top players out of the game?
- Perhaps the last player to juggle both sports was Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram.
- I know the NFL is trying to clean up the game a little bit, but they have to let the players play the game.
2.1Musicmúsico femininemúsico masculinemúsica feminineinstrumentista feminineshe's a really good guitar-player — es muy buena guitarrista
- Curiously, the standard radio had a cassette but no CD player, so an upgrade here might be required as well.
- They were connected to the timing device of a compact disc player designed to detonate them remotely.
- This is protected not by a cap, but by a mechanism that allows it to slide into the body of the player.
- Songs can then be copied to iPod players or burned onto compact disc.
- Lasers in this category include those that operate laser printers and compact disc players.
- A third option transforms the device into an audio player.
- There are more TVs than there are people in my home, several video recorders and one DVD player.
- He closed the door and switched on the lights before switching on his compact disc player.
- The jog-dial has some resistance to it, so pushing it up and down is distinguishable from pushing it into the body of the player in order to make a menu selection.
- But you do get a lot of extra brightly coloured cassette tape players that eat batteries and break really easily.
- The robbers made off with a video machine, two cellphones, a DVD player and several compact discs.
- It might include a flashlight, a book, and a cassette or CD player and story tape or CD.
- Video stores also developed the policy of renting video players along with the cassettes.
- You may also want to buy a voice recorder for your MP3 player to record memorable moments.
- People now want a phone that can switch easily from communication device to music player.
- Erica was listening to the music on her compact disc player as she drove.
- The DVD player in a home theater system can separate the audio track into two, three or even five channels.
- Most newer cars come with only a CD player, making a cassette adapter worthless.
- An hour later, out would come a computer, a television set or a compact-disc player.
- In addition, a cassette or compact disc player may be placed within reach for listening to music or audio books.
2.2archaic formal (actor)actor masculineactriz femininetraveling players — cómicos de la legua masculine
- Pagliacci is set in a small town where a troupe of travelling players have arrived to present a comedy.
- There is a wealth of marvellous biographical detail here, with the leading players lit up in the full glare of the garish footlights.
- On opening night, he alone of the main players managed a consistent performance.
- The other players, the spear carriers, come through when unexpected.
- The other players create characters suitable for the environment chosen.
- I don't think there was any question about the players not wanting to perform.
- We asked a group of these players about the makings of a good character actor.
- There are two basic types of male film actor - leading men and character players.
- The proceedings are distinguished by the sterling performances of the central players and an exceptional cast of guest stars.
- The loveliness of the location is matched by exceptionally attractive performances from the leading players.
- Being good improv performers, the players just worked it into the scenes and kept on going.
- The most interesting characters were bit players Hector Elizondo and Sakina Jaffrey.
- The acting in this film is fine across the board, from lead actors to bit players.
- The acting is top notch here, from the top name actors down to the character players.
- The group isn't quite at the level of Guest's players, but their performances never feel forced.
- Let's call them chefs or actors, or players or whatever and leave them off the pedestal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.