In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(after a tie)desempate masculine
- Now it is Morecambe who ride high in their division, pressing for a play-off place into the league.
- The club managed to get to the play-off final a few years ago and we will be hoping to improve on last season and get into the top six.
- We were in and around the play-off zone all year but couldn't push on and get ourselves right in the mix.
- We could end up with a scenario in which the Republic of Ireland can lay claim to a play-off place.
- Silsden must now win their final away match to force a play-off for the runners-up spot.
- We also want to go up automatically as losing in the play-off final is the worst feeling ever.
- We were delighted to win the Cup, but the play-off match with Saints was possibly one game too far.
- The main thing is that we are in the play-off position and it is now in our own hands.
- That shocking statistic is the reason Todd's side are just on the fringe of the play-off race and not in the thick of it.
- Preston secured their play-off spot at the weekend and they travel to Derby who need one point to join them.
- We all know, though, that it is impossible to predict the winner once the play-off lottery kicks off.
- But they have made it to the play-off final so they still have a good chance of joining us in League One.
- It would be my first medal apart from the play-off final with Birmingham in 2002 and it would be nice to add to it.
- Anyone who can win three games in a row will probably get into a play-off spot.
- It's important we make a strong start but at this stage we have to be setting our sights on a play-off spot.
- We're doing okay in the league and are one of several clubs fighting for the final play-off spot.
- Sven Goran Eriksson was told at the start of his quest to achieve a play-off place.
- It's not that bad because we are only four points of a play-off spot so it's hardly as if we are in a poor position.
- We feel we are worthy of a play-off place this year and we want to push on and achieve that.
- It may be a bit optimistic to talk about a play-off spot, but I think that is a reasonable target.
2the playoffs — (in US football etc) las finales
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.