In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1juguete masculineshe treats him like a plaything — está jugando con él
- Big-hearted Evening Press readers have stepped in to supply new playthings for sick children - after thieves raided their toy cupboard.
- You have to admit, even if they are the plastic playthings of young boys and the result of many years of study and research by adults, they do play on the imagination.
- The room was no longer littered with his playthings, his toys from yesteryear.
- Americans continue to spend more on imported playthings, though fewer toys and games are being exported from the U.S.
- And like many children's toys today, playthings for pets are becoming more technological and educational.
- But many toy makers are also worried that some playthings that once seemed fantastical now seem all too real.
- She shows the playthings and toys to the children, yet will not reveal his gift, which she claims she will give him later that night.
- For plastic children's playthings, manufacturers often add a chemical as a softener.
- Leftists think little boys can be ‘educated’ into preferring dolls to trucks as playthings whereas conservatives think they cannot.
- Children's spontaneous play is closely related to their creative activities of drawing, painting, and music-even children's construction of toys or playthings from scrap materials.
- I cannot bear the plethora of tacky, pointless, plasticy, badly constructed, playthings that are manufactured these days.
- The toy appeared strangely incongruous, almost an antique among the plastic playthings that littered the floor.
- By providing shared playthings like building blocks and story books and arranging sing-songs, the organisation is encouraging children to play together as normal and put their strange circumstances out of their minds for awhile.
- One type of toy, Appalachian primitive dolls, has been a standard plaything for many children in the mountain communities of Alabama and northwards.
- Toy industry experts say that such war-themed playthings will be booming this Christmas.
- When a battered child looks at his bruises and cries out for help, his favourite plaything - the computer by his bedside - could be his saviour.
- When do dolls cease to be mere playthings and pretty exhibits and assume a far more profound role?
- These innovations made possible more playthings per child as well more variety and novelty in playthings, making children's products part of an emerging fashion industry.
- The American and Japanese conquest of European and Asian toy markets meant the reduction of regional styles of playthings and a shift away from toys that imitated adult worlds of work and life.
- Even as a child, toy soldiers and toy guns were my favorite playthings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.