In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1formal(appeal)petición femininemasculine ruegofeminine súplicadespite pleas from local people — a pesar de las peticiones de los vecinos
- she listened to my plea — escuchó mis ruegos / súplicas
- plea for sth
- she made a plea for mercy — rogó / suplicó / imploró clemencia
- the play is a plea for tolerance — la obra es un llamado a la tolerancia
- Campaigners for an improved rail service will take their pleas for urgent action to the very top.
- It is now six days since the 21-year-old was last seen and her family yesterday made an emotional plea for her to return.
- I think the Home Office should seriously reconsider his urgent plea for asylum forthwith.
- Make your views known before it's too late, was the urgent plea being put out to Essex businesses.
- He made an urgent plea for the public to help catch the dealers.
- Parents have made emotional pleas for an under-threat school to be saved.
- But unlike Moore, he doesn't rely on emotional pleas from hysterical moms and funny songs to lighten the mood.
- But police have made an urgent plea for help in ensuring dealers from outside the area do not move in and take their place.
- The news has stunned war veterans in the city - and has sparked an urgent plea for more volunteers to come forward.
- An urgent plea has been made for cash help for a charity which provides a vital service for vulnerable residents across Tendring.
- The carnival is being organised by just four dedicated volunteers and Eileen, 62, has now made an urgent plea for help.
- A leading north west health expert has issued an urgent plea to food handlers who are suffering from colds to stay away from work.
- He also is undecided on his emotions, chopping and changing between angry violent outbursts and whiny emotional pleas.
- Beware of charities long on emotional pleas but short on concrete examples of where the money goes, she advised.
- His emotional plea moved the students to organise a special blood-giving day at the beginning of the college year.
- A villager has voiced an emotional plea to stop a proposed road scheme, which he says will devastate his wife's business.
- The father of a missing Yorkshire woman has made an emotional plea for information about his daughter who vanished three weeks ago.
- An urgent plea has been made to solve parking problems in a village before there is a serious accident.
- Many people made emotional and strained pleas that it should not even be a subject for discussion.
- She made an emotional plea to Wiltshire County Council to fund a bypass.
2Lawto enter a plea of guilty/not guilty — declararse culpable/inocente
- I have already said that I am not going to make a plea of diminished responsibility on the grounds of incapacity.
- The guilty plea of the accused to both charges laid against him is also mitigating.
- During his mitigation plea, he restated his claim that he was the victim of a political conspiracy.
- It seems that he indicated a plea of guilty even before the charge was amended.
- The defendants put forward a plea of justification, based on the issue of the writ itself.
3formal(excuse)pretexto masculineexcusa feminineshe didn't come on the plea of illness — no vino so pretexto de / pretextando estar enferma
- His attorneys moved on Wednesday to obtain a prompt hearing on his plea that he is legally entitled to release.
- He was given six years for forgery despite his plea that he regarded painting banknotes as "a new form of art."
- You must demonstrate that you have made a decision and will no longer accept philandering, excuses, promises or pleas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.