In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britishordinario masculineordinaria femininenaco masculine Mexico informal derogatorynaca feminine Mexico informal derogatorymersa River Plate informal derogatoryroto masculine Chile informal derogatoryrota feminine Chile informal derogatory
- The truly posh very rarely have much to do with this, so it tends to be the upper middle class vs the utter plebs.
- But we didn't have to queue with the plebs, oh no!
- When you turn on your TV, you may see a wizened old man making plebs laugh with his bad wigs and big chin, but we see someone else entirely.
- They should drop their supercilious, insulting position of superiority over the plebs and treat the electorate as intelligent, informed people who deserve not to be put in this position.
- It's that their criticisms tend so much towards the intellectual snob snap dismissal: it's sold millions, it's popular, ergo it's for the plebs.
- Gianfrancesco Gonzaga invited classical scholar Vittorino da Feltre to set up a boys' school in the city inspired by humanist principles, where ducal scions mixed with talented plebs.
- Tressell wrote his book for the coffee tables of the dissenting middle classes rather than for plebs like Towers and me.
- When she decided she was too special to have to line up with the rest of the plebs, she forced her way to the front of the line, demanding to be served because she's ‘famous.’
- The turf was actually decent and they were kind enough to let us plebs sit in the expensive seats.
- It was with a certain degree of self-confessed smugness that I looked out as the blustery wind swept around headquarters and the ordinary plebs tried to wrap up against the elements.
2the plebs — la chusma
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.