In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1abundancia femininein plenty — en abundancia
- Those of vague faith hold a perfectly reasonable and defensible position in a world of plenty.
- That way he has plenty to feed himself, as well as some of his garden's pests.
- Music has given Sudha plenty in life and she plans to give back to it some in her own special way.
- On Christmas Day, at least, we hope to bring plenty and warmth to all such cases.
- Faced with such plenty, it is hard to understand how anyone could go hungry in this part of the world.
- For a democracy enjoying peace and plenty, the terms of the Bill were sweeping.
2(large, sufficient quantity)muchomuchathere was plenty to eat — había mucha comida
- there's plenty more in here — aquí hay mucho más
- $50 is plenty — 50 dólares es más que suficiente
3plenty of — muchos
- we've got plenty of time — tenemos tiempo de sobra
- he's done plenty of studying for the exam — ha estudiado mucho para el examen
- the food wasn't very good, but there was plenty of it — la comida no era muy buena, pero había mucha
- you need rest and plenty of it — necesitas descansar, y mucho
4(large, sufficient number)muchosmuchashe's the best actor I've seen and I've seen plenty — es el mejor actor que he visto y he visto a muchos
- there are plenty more in here — aquí hay muchos/muchas más
5plenty of — muchos
- I wasn't bored, I had plenty of books — no me aburrí, tenía muchos libros
- we may not be much good, but there are plenty of us — no seremos demasiado buenos, pero somos muchos
1USinformal, dialectmuyshe must love him plenty — debe quererlo mucho
- it's plenty good enough for me — está perfectamente bien para mí
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.