In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(budín de pasas y especias) plum pudding masculine
- The first prize is a Christmas hamper and other prizes include a Christmas cake, whiskey, wine, plum pudding and sweets.
- Sweets and plum pudding are an absolute must during Christmas and a precious tradition too.
- For those who could still eat more, there were a selection of desserts which included the typical dishes of the season, such as plum pudding with brandy sauce, marble cheesecake, Yule log and Snow Mountain.
- We will have all the regular produce on sale from fresh home baking, free range eggs, jams, honey, pickles, chutneys, plum puddings and Christmas cakes.
- After three hours of stuffing ourselves, we succumbed to the traditional dessert of plum pudding with brandy sauce, fresh strawberries with various fruits and cream.
- By Victorian times, the plum pudding was a major part of the Christmas feast, brought to the table with great pomp.
- A scrumptious baked dinner with plum pudding for dessert will be served after the game.
- Christmas supper includes meat such as chicken and ham followed by plum pudding.
- If you still have room, there are desserts such as plum pudding with brandy sauce, Yule Log, chikki kulfi, assorted Swiss Tortes, fresh fruit cheesecakes, and tender coconut and pistachio mousse.
- It was Christmas Day in the workhouse, and the inmates sat down to a meal of roast beef and pork, followed by plum pudding and fruit.
- For anyone interested in ordering Christmas cakes or plum puddings, please do so at this market.
- The plum pudding has been steamed for close to 10 hours.
- Make sure you eat the frozen spinach and the rest of the plum pudding before we go’.
- The competition had a Christmas theme and Iris had to produce a selection of festive cookery including a plum pudding, mince pies and homemade short-bread.
- Olivia was currently preparing the plum pudding and had promised to bring the dough upstairs as soon as it was ready, so that everyone could give it a lucky stir and witness the dropping of a penny into it.
- It was usually a turkey of about 25 pounds which Sir William always carved, followed by plum pudding.
- For you, Christmas is about family and traditions, and you rather enjoy the rituals of going to church at midnight and turning off the lights before flaming the plum pudding.
- We had fresh beef, potatoes and a good plum pudding with brandy sauce - a double allowance of everything, and instead of plain bread it was currant bread for three days.
- Dessert consisted of a selection of three which comprised plum pudding, chocolate cake and meringue.
- It's pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, and plum pudding for Christmas, and some chocolates for Easter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.