In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1plomero masculineplomera femininefontanero masculine Spain Central Americafontanera feminine Spain Central Americagasfitero masculine Perugasfitera feminine Perugásfiter masculine Chile
- You are unlikely to be able to fit your sink yourself, as a plumber needs to connect the pipework.
- The only good news is that there should no longer be a shortage of traditional tradesmen such as plumbers and electricians.
- At the moment, the Council's plumbers install and maintain all the Council's water meters.
- The pipe is completely intact and judged by both plumbers to be in excellent condition for its age.
- A plumber will do this by applying force to a copper pipe in a pipe bender.
- The thaw after heavy snowfall meant that plumbers were inundated with calls to repair burst pipes.
- Four plumbers have told me that the main line is clogged with roots, and they want thousands of dollars to replace it.
- You can buy it in a kit, but you will need a plumber to help you connect the system to the boiler.
- So the plumber has gone to the hardware store for supplies and will be returning soon.
- On Saturday, just before the water went off, our plumber Geoff came round and disconnected it and fixed the pipes.
- He told me that the plumber will need to turn off the water for about an hour to fix it.
- When the plumber fitted the new central heating/water system he fitted a manual shower mixer tap for us.
- The council agreed to obtain plumbers ' quotes to install a washbasin.
- Hundreds of jobs are expected to be created for local joiners, plumbers, painters and electricians.
- It became apparent there was too much water for the plumber to pump away, so the fire brigade was called in.
- You also have to hire electricians and plumbers to complete the house's services.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.