In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
Philosophy Politics Religion Sociology
- The major finding was the desire for methodological pluralism, even among mainstream faculty.
- Everyone wants democracy, respect of human rights, political pluralism, freedom of the press, and a general amnesty to be issued.
- It's a university which is committed to pluralism, a university in which you've got Arab and Jewish students, a university which is committed to the pursuit of peace.
- Postmodernist beliefs therefore tend to a multiculturalist pluralism and relativism.
- From this standpoint, religion is a good thing as long as it embraces pluralism and tolerates moral ambiguity, but intense and exclusive forms of religion are a menace to the free society.
- Of course, all of this is addressed in the broader context of religious pluralism in the American political system.
- If it becomes a democracy and political pluralism would flourish, the economy would flourish in the region, and then we can go about having regional peace and stability.
- ‘I already proposed that the they should revert to the coalition principle of four or five parties where pluralism is clearly felt,’ he said.
- On the other hand, politicians have been markedly reluctant to reduce pluralism in office holding, which is largely responsible for establishing them as a caste.
- Pluralism is a competency, not just mere subjective relativism, but ethical pluralism.
- Traditionally, of course, pluralism in religious matters was deemed a sign of impiety and indifference to God's truth.
- I admire the pluralism of postmodern cities that arises from the personal autonomy that comes with privatized beliefs-but that is not possible and will not be possible for most of the world.
- Yesterday's decision also undermines one of the public school system's most important functions: teaching democracy and pluralism.
- There is also a growing freedom of expression, pluralism and a free press which is much wider than it was a few years ago.
- Both suggest the need for pluralism - recognizing the diverse knowledges and interests involved.
- The old liberal pluralism holds that each of us has rights as an individual: this is the idea that has animated social progress for generations.
- Political pluralism also tends to exercise some moderation or restraint on unbridled nationalism.
- Also it was argued that state funding of parties would promote political pluralism.
- Social pluralism requires us to recognize all affected stakeholder interests, especially the interests of those whose welfare is at risk.
- Other religious groups representing Christians, Hindus, and Buddhists, had also raised similar concerns, saying the existing article protects pluralism in Indonesia.
- One thing is on the side of pluralism, however-the country's longstanding constitutional principles that affirm equality and social justice for all.
- Tribal governments are, very often, collectivist in their economics, allowing little space for internal pluralism of news media or business enterprises.
- We have a story of freedom, pluralism and a dynamic economy that is worth telling.
- We live in the days of pluralism, when all faiths and religions are of equal worth.
- Politically, civil society relies on the separation of powers, political pluralism and public access to state and public affairs.
- Even discussing theology and religion is a new phenomenon that emerged only in the conditions of religious pluralism.
- Instead, pluralism sees many minorities vying with one another in different policy areas.
- Genuine respect for ‘otherness’ entails much more than modern religious pluralism can deliver.
- What our children should learn from the study of history is the importance of institutions that sustain the principles of human rights, the rule of law, and political pluralism.
- Influenced by emerging national movements and demands for political pluralism, Slovenia held its first party elections in 1990.
- Yet, given more time, the halting experiment with political pluralism might have evolved in a more positive direction.
- Yet religious pluralism is unavoidable because of the ineffability or complexity of God.
- The exclusion of such parties from our electoral system undermines our claim to political pluralism.
- Philosophical pluralism is the rejection of truth for it reckons that every opinion, standard and value is relative, and men must not criticise anyone else's morality or religion.
- He preached pluralism, by which he meant the autonomy of organizations such as broadcasting bodies, parties, and trade unions, while affirming the need for a strong centralized state.
- The ideal of national unity informed political speech, but the diversity of populations called for guarantees of political pluralism and for economic integration.
- Philosophically, pluralism rests on the assumption that ultimate reality is many, multiple, that is, more than one or two.
- The crisis raises serious questions of the ethics of democratic co-existence and religious pluralism vis-a-vis the state.
- "Our society has shifted so much toward pluralism in terms of politics, culture and religion among other things that we cannot know what the truth is.
- Modern societies are said to be characterized by deep diversity and cultural pluralism.
- The mushrooming of political parties, syndicates, and newspapers signals a nascent political pluralism upon which democracy can be built.
- Jones also underlines the importance of political pluralism, the rule of law (equality before the law) and a free press for sustained intensive growth.
- Second is the value and strength of pluralism, based on a concept of legitimate difference.
- Perhaps the most evident aspect of post-modernism when some attempt to apply it to Christianity is the emphasis on this cultural pluralism as the defining principle of faith in practice.
- We want to allow political pluralism, but when we adopt a program, we want our members to rally behind it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.