In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Be sure there is no excess glue on the planks before placing the plywood on top.
- Apart from some weatherboards and plywood for the floor, all his building materials were recycled.
- The post and timber fence is not constructed in plywood, it is softwood.
- Plastic floor is ideal for paved surfaces and is much cheaper than plywood floors.
- All three projects can be easily and inexpensively made in a matter of hours from a few scrap sheets of plywood.
- The units are made of plywood with a maple veneer, and are attached to the wall studs.
- Survivors are jammed together in windowless plywood barracks hurriedly built by the army.
- At this time I decided to use pine wood and some plywood: cheap materials and easy to work with using the tools I had.
- The bookcases are handsome things assembled from varnished plywood.
- Cut up some pieces of plywood ahead of time to use as holding forms, and clamp every thing down.
- Brice paints on large plywood panels, predominantly in black and white house paint which he applies in a scrubbing motion.
- My new desk appeared, or part of it did, in the form of a cut sheet of eight by four high quality beech veneered plywood.
- The troops' base camp was a burned-out hotel, which had been patched up with plywood and corrugated iron.
- I remember drawing the plan using a piece of finished plywood as my drafting table.
- Constance walked over to the shattered window which was now covered with a sheet of plywood.
- At last we dove into an old abandoned house, all the doors were locked and the windows boarded up with pieces of molding plywood.
- Yesterday, the street remained closed and plywood boards were put up on barriers on all roads leading into the street.
- A router is the best tool to use on long pieces, as long pieces of plywood can be hard to handle on a table saw.
- Shanty towns made of tin, plywood and salvaged materials rise along the highway and stretch for miles.
- The sides of the grave were all boarded up with sheets of plywood.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.