1.1(balanced, suspended)poised in the air — suspendido en el aire
- they were waiting with pencils poised — esperaban, lápiz en mano
- poised on the brink of disaster — al borde del desastre
- her hand was poised above the receiver — tenía la mano preparada para contestar el teléfono en cuanto sonara
1.2(ready)listopreparadothe army was poised, ready to attack — el ejército estaba listo para atacar
- they are poised to break into the Japanese market — están listos para irrumpir en el mercado japonés
- the jaguar was poised for attack — el jaguar estaba agazapado, listo para atacar
- she is poised for a political comeback — está lista para hacer su reaparición en la escena política
- he was poised at the microphone — estaba preparado frente al micrófono
2(self-assured)for an 18-year-old she is very poised — para una chica de 18 años tiene mucho aplomo / mucha desenvoltura
- Britain's first mainstream female football presenter is cool, poised and confident.
- Her aura of poised confidence was gone, leaving behind a tired air.
- His poised, persuasive presentation won them over.
- The Head RN merely arched a well-plucked eyebrow, and Cassie stood in the doorway as poised and silent as a statue.
- He's a poised lad, very much in control of what he says and, ultimately, what we are allowed to know about him.
- He could not imagine this calm, poised woman before him using language like that, but the young girl within her?
- And for the first time today this remarkably poised young woman breaks out into a blush.
- The end result: you look leaner, taller, more poised and confident.
- For a brief moment, considering the embarrassing circumstances, I was pleased with my poised response.
- The poised, confident young woman was tossed into a world of checkpoints, strip searches and interrogations.
- By this stage the adrenaline had started pumping around my body, I felt I was ready for anything; alert and poised.
- A tall, good-looking young man, poised and self-assured, Bassam is a Christian.
- He is also a poised senior who makes 84.2 percent of his free throws.
- Keira was always in control, always composed, poised and confident.
- Jake's poised and assertive manner was diminishing before my very eyes.
- Finding love and being a good companion are slightly more challenging projects for even such a poised and educated young lady.
- Instead of his head falling away and legs imitating those of a drunk, he was poised and resolute, pulverising anything that came within his shot-radar.
- She's like a child grown in a pod on Mars: far too poised and intelligent to resemble any kid from our planet.
- In the picture, she looks entirely poised and comfortable.
- I walked up poised and proud with tears shimmering in my eyes.