In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for fire)atizador masculineas stiff as a poker — más tieso que un palo informal
- The audio track is without obvious flaw, and we hear every dying scream, sizzle of hot pokers, and swoosh of descending swords with great clarity and resonance.
- Baseball bats, fireside pokers, wrenches and garden rakes were seized by Gardaí.
- So I propose no system of ‘rules’ to be imposed (with hot pokers in the eyes, no less, according to the hysterical Mr. Butler!) on anybody.
- He painted their necks and faces with red paint to simulate blood and held knives, pokers and even daggers to their throats.
- It's the jokers who cover over the ashes with hot pokers stemmed from their own rebuttal, sitting around the cold coal fire in my living room, bunting one another with harsh words.
- We could not produce blue-prints or mould metal pokers in the forge.
- There were Jews running from their neighbors who brandished knives and hot pokers and guns and who knows what else.
- You will tell them that most nights you just sit home chewing on white-hot pokers straight from the fire.
- We all dove for the marshmallows and impaled them to the end of out metal pokers.
- Perhaps the perpetrators should be rounded up and branded with hot pokers with the insignia ‘BIGOT’ on their forehead to see how they like it.
- He had attended parties, and he had been impaled with hot pokers, and between the two, the hot pokers still held a narrow lead.
- Leave the knives and hot pokers out of it, is my advice.
- Some versions even have Popper and Wittgenstein duelling with a pair of pokers.
- Baseball bats, garden rakes, fireside pokers, wrenches and planks of wood were seized as Gardaí battled desperately to bring the riot under control.
- Fireplace pokers and knives should be stored out of sight.
- I'm sure makes sense to the chap in the corner with the red hot pokers on his feet.
- Transition Year students at the school have been following a course in metalwork and engineering, creating projects such as brass door pulls and doorknockers, and fireside pokers.
- And if we were able to do that, then we might win Popper's argument for him - without having to resort to pokers.
- Soldiers also use pokers and metal detectors, digging deeper earth to locate the mines.
- Tongs, pokers and even smoothing irons were used, apart from fists, boots and belts.
1(game)póker masculinepóquer masculinebefore noun poker school — círculo de póker masculine
- Bennett also said that he gambles almost entirely on slot machines and video poker.
- I was in Amsterdam recently, and went down to play poker at the Holland Casino on Leidseplein.
- I do not know of any state that has passed a law stating that players can play poker online.
- After this the men may separate for gin rummy or poker, leaving the women alone to their gossip.
- You simply cannot put in all that many hours in a year playing major tournament poker.
- Indeed, sitting down to a game of Sheepshead often involves negotiating table rules, much like poker.
- Play is the same manner as poker, high score wins the pot, and players are allowed to fold if the betting gets too much for them.
- The basic idea is to play a game of poker in which the losers have to remove items of clothing.
- Then there are the casino gamblers, who treat poker as an elaborate version of roulette.
- This is something I do from time to time. My preferred game is poker but last night we played contract whist.
- It is sometimes said to be similar to poker, but in fact it is much older and the method of betting is different.
- To succeed at the top levels of poker you need your head, your heart and your groin to be able to take it.
- Also, to refuse to fold when a player knows that he or she is beat is stubbornness, not poker.
- If you have ever played poker before, you will know that every player has a ‘bad beat’ story.
- It wasn't pool we were playing but poker and the same principles applied.
- At the start of the game each player must pay a small fee, like in poker.
- The remaining chips for the last hand of the game are played at poker.
- However, when you introduce the concept of betting, poker gains quite a bit of skill and psychology.
- In poker, you need to know when you can count on someone behind you to bet for you.
- Winning poker is all about revenue streams, a few big ones and many, many small ones.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.