In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1salto con garrocha masculinesalto con pértiga masculine Spain
- It covers pole vault, triple jump, javelin, hammer throw, etc. (besides just running).
- We are very strong here in Sligo on the track, but quite weak in some field events such as pole vault, high jump and hammer.
- In the long jump, triple jump and pole vault, horizontal velocity is crucial to performance, so head winds will reduce the size of the jump while tail winds will assist the jumper.
- The decathlete displayed his full range of skills to win the pole vault, high jump, triple jump, javelin and 110m hurdles, and finish second in the long jump.
- Sligo has not had a great tradition in field events so this is a chance for our athletes to show what they can do in events such as the high jump, pole vault and hammer.
- In the same period Scottish athletes have broken 55, and that figure is significantly boosted by the introduction of two new events, the women's hammer and pole vault.
- Her twin sister Lindsay, a former heptathlete at Brown University, now competes in pole vault and finished eighth at 2004 Trials.
- Ladwig competed in the triple jump and pole vault in high school as well as diving, football and wrestling.
- We're used to the triple jump and pole vault, having watched them for years.
- The decathlon resumes early on Tuesday with the 110 metres hurdles and continues with the discus, pole vault, javelin and 1500 metres.
- He was competing in the pole vault and was late arriving to register for the triple jump and officials would not let him enter.
- The 31-year-old claimed the first-ever Olympic gold medal in women's pole vault at the 2000 Games in Sydney.
- These were achieved in the 100m, the high jump and the pole vault.
- Sean also demonstrated his competence in the long jump and pole vault, with a win in the former and third place in the latter.
- It's not like learning the pole vault or triple jump.
- You keep coming upon the phrase, ‘raising the bar,’ but that makes me think of the Olympic high jump or pole vault.
- Yours truly knocked over twenty bottles and woke up next morning able to take Gold in the pole vault and long jump, and then run a marathon.
- It was granted 70,000 in sports development funding and used it to lay tartan on the long and high jump areas and to purchase state of the art equipment for high jump and pole vault.
- I had done only three training sessions in pole vault that season, but when I decided to participate, I was going only for the gold.
- I lost concentration in the pole vault and the javelin and I think that was down to fatigue - I only slept for three hours last night.
1saltar con garrochasaltar con pértiga Spain
- Before I pole vault into bed, I'd like to thank all the folks who've written with good thoughts about my mother.
- Ryan's of Parkgate Street announced with some fanfare that it had a special Greek menu to celebrate the Olympics, so I pole-vaulted down with my broadcaster friend.
- That is more or less the same case with women's pole-vaulting, too, though in V. S. Surekha's case, a steady climb over the last two seasons, has helped her focus on a berth in the Indian team for the Asian championships this year.
- As he approached them he stuck his sword into the ground to use it to pole-vault over the flames.
- In the new training area it will be possible to high jump, long jump, pole vault, hurdle and do circuit training, most of which was done outdoors and this was not always possible in the Irish climate.
- She learned to hang-glide, to pole-vault, to jump with ease on skateboard and ski.
- And in a movie that's a decathlon of bad acting and worse accents, she can out pole-vault, run, shotput and triple-jump the very worst this movie can throw up.
- Her recent London feat of five metres, a watershed in women's pole-vaulting, should add a new dimension to the event when it is held in Helsinki.
- You have to be a good all round athlete to be able to pole vault.
- The photos depict women participating in every sport from ping-pong to pole-vaulting, from hunting to hardball.
- Still dismayed, he pole-vaulted out of his bathtub as there came a knock at the front door.
- Another traditional sport popular in Friesland is fierljeppen, pole-vaulting across the canals in the warmer months.
- And while he doesn't exactly pole vault and swing over the towering speaker cabinets anymore, he doesn't stay in one place either.
- But unless the games are held either in America or Utah, we're not going to watch people pole vault.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.