- At heart, though, the ferret is a denizen of the countryside, a weasel closely related to the European polecat and the mink.
- Domestic ferrets are generally believed to be descended from the European polecat; and they were originally used as hunting animals to catch rabbits and rodents.
- Martin, from Wilmslow, is particularly fond of the polecat - the mammal from which ferrets evolved - and over two years he has rescued 10 injured polecats and then sent them back into their habitat to breed.
- Adult and juvenile gerbils of both sexes give alarm calls and footdrum in the presence of an assortment of terrestrial predators: snakes, monitor lizards, foxes, polecats, weasels, humans and large ungulates.
- He said the smell was caused by polecats, which have a natural pungent odour, and the dead bird had stunned itself the previous day when it escaped and flew into a window.