In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Politicspolítica feminineeconomic/foreign policy — política económica/exterior
- they adopted a policy of neutrality — adoptaron una política de neutralidad
- it is government policy to reduce inflation — la reducción de la inflación es una de las directrices de la política gubernamental
- policy on sth
- their policy on education — su política en materia de educación / en cuanto a educación
- this government has no policy on wages — este gobierno no tiene una política salarial / de salarios
- before noun policy decision — decisión de política / de estrategia
- policy statement — declaración de política
- The policy of war abroad is invariably bound up with political repression at home.
- The Commissioners meet once a week to develop and adopt proposals on new policies and legislation.
- However, this did not mean the end of the policy of support for the pound.
- In this way, the material basis of the policy of social equilibrium is eaten away.
- The third reason for the absence of revolution was thus the policy of the Communist party.
- One controversial form of this has been the policy of affirmative redistricting.
- This was the start of the policy of internment, which would terrorise Catholics for four years.
- It has been the policy of successive Governments not to provide funds for memorials.
- As a whole this group has failed to propose an active policy for the working class.
- That means working in the United Nations for the rule of law, not the policy of might is right.
- There never was an era when the policy of the Lesser Evil made less sense than now.
- He might take it as a national mandate to pursue the policy of truculent unilateralism.
- Its real failure was that it adopted the policies that you now propose for the SEP.
- Imperialist war is not simply the policy of this or that political leader or party.
- They are not compatible with Liberal Democrat party policies and principles.
- If you accept toughness as the test of your policies, why not adopt the toughest policy of all?
- The policies that the Government proposes to change have been in place for all that period.
- Instead of really disciplining themselves on the policy of growth, what do they do?
- I would also ask the committee to consider adopting a policy of precautionary principle.
- In west Africa, few countries have adopted national policies to implement these principles.
- You are not obliged to assign a life assurance policy to cover a mortgage on a rental property.
- This policy pays a lump sum to the mortgage lender to pay off your home loan so your family does not get any cash payment directly.
- The failure to inform the lenders of the broker's fraud induced them to think that valid policies were in place.
- Sometimes, people have no idea that they have a policy with an insurance company.
- If you don't inform your insurance company your policy could be invalidated.
- Pet owners also need to be aware of the difference between annual policies and life contracts.
- You can buy policies from your mortgage provider, bank, and an insurance broker.
- We will only provide a refund if a claim has not been made under the policy in the current period of insurance.
- Help the Aged and Age Concern both have insurance divisions which offer policies with no upper age limit.
- I was told by my insurance company that my policy didn't cover cameras when checked as luggage.
- Beneficiaries either did not have insurance, or their policies did not cover the full costs of the damage.
- A valued policy is a policy which specifies the agreed value of the subject matter insured.
- I was not made aware that the policy covered both FOQ's costs and those of the defendants.
- If the driver was covered by a policy of insurance there would usually be no need for such an action.
- It must also be borne in mind that the insurer was aware of the terms of the dredging contract when the policy was issued.
- With-profits policies are a type of insurance policy used by many people to save for a pension.
- In respect of Assureds domiciled elsewhere policies will be issued by the Underwriters.
- For many of us, the biggest asset in our estate will be the proceeds of our life assurance policies.
- Couples with children may be better to opt for two single policies instead of a joint life policy.
- Bear in mind that the MVA is only applied if money is taken out of the fund - if the policy is cashed in.
(standard practice, plan)política feminineinvestment policy — política de inversión
- her policy is to ignore him — su táctica es no hacerle ni caso
- it is good/bad policy — es/no es recomendable
- I always ask her first as a matter of policy — tengo por norma preguntarle primero a ella
- policy on sth
- company policy on advertising — la política de la compañía / la línea que sigue la compañía en materia de publicidad
1masculine segurofeminine póliza de seguroshe took out a new policy — se hizo un nuevo seguro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.