In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Polio, or poliomyelitis, is an infectious disease caused by a virus that attacks the nervous system.
- Neurological disorders, such as poliomyelitis and cerebral palsy, can also cause acquired clubfoot.
- Infectious diseases such as whooping cough, encephalitis, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, rabies, tetanus, syphilis, and botulism rarely are seen now but can cause vocal cord paralysis.
- The viral disease known as poliomyelitis is highly infectious and can cause total paralysis and even death.
- Other common diseases include schistosomiasis, sleeping sickness, poliomyelitis, tuberculosis, and pneumonia.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.