In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lunar masculinetopo masculine Spain(material) de lunares(material) de topos Spain
- Set in a rural landscape with goats and two huts, a woman in pointy shoes sips tea while another is dressed up for a night on the town with big red lips, a polka dot dress and a hat.
- I tied a polka-dot handkerchief to the end of a stick, in which I placed all of my worldly belongings, built a raft and floated downstream to begin the summer vacation that, indeed, ended all summer vacations.
- The pink and green gives it a somewhat playful mood, and you could play this up, with a polka-dot shower curtain or towels.
- In St. Petersburg's popular ‘Idiot’ café a bust of Lenin sports a racy polka-dot tie.
- He scanned the street, his gaze narrowing on a woman a few years older than he seemed to be, wearing saddle shoes, white ankle socks, a white flared skirt, and a polka-dot top, her red hair bouncing in a long ponytail.
- As his blond wife, Katie, clad in a simple polka-dot dress and checked apron, serves their steak and potatoes, Bannion puts away the paper and opens a few beers and they discuss their daughter Joyce.
- Then the stage was stormed by a woman in an elegant polka-dot dress who delighted the audience with a story of Lord Byron - or rather, an insane man who entertained delusions of Byron-ism.
- Nicola sells lingerie in polka-dot fabric, designer cosmetics targeting children, apple-shaped plastic handbags and candy in pop-art-like packaging.
- After leading on his own for 149 km, Wegmann is finally absorbed back in the peloton but can rest assured that the polka-dot jersey is his for stage eight.
- But there is still the glory of stage wins and the races within the race - for the green sprinter's jersey and the polka-dot climber's jersey, among others.
- Fiona wore a polka-dot skirt from Coast, with a white jacket from M&S Autograph, and a hat from Debenhams, while Hannah wore a black and white skirt with sequins and asymmetric cropped jacket in black.
- For babies, there is an adorable polka dot romper suit, while older children will love his denim and rugby-style collection.
- Minutes later, a slightly paunchy, balding, middle aged man wearing blue tinted Granny glasses, jeans and a polka dot shirt, bounces into the room.
- Not only did she send along one of her gorgeous button pin cushions but she also made a polka dot scissors case and included some fabric and a vintage table cloth.
- But as the former principal shuffled from the dock yesterday, wearing a white polka-dot blouse and three-quarter length grey wool wraparound, she looked a broken woman.
- She stepped out from behind the wall revealing the purple polka-dot pajama bottoms and white tank top she was wearing.
- Her bright red hair was held up in a polka-dot hair-tie, like a bulbous Lucille Ball.
- Her matted hair was the color of unbaked red clay and her brown polka-dot dress was wrinkled, discolored under her arms.
- This is similar to the way that, standing in the department store, looking at the tiny polka-dot skirts, you remember yourself as the size 6 slim-hipped sprite of your youth.
- The best guess about the hideous polka-dot job that Elk wore on Sunday was that he bought it on eBay as an investment, believing it had once been worn by Joan Crawford.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.