In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He doesn't use pesticides, or chemical fertilisers; he keeps a few bees to pollinate the flowers.
- Hand pollinating the orchid has increased seed production, which allows for augmentation of existing populations and introduction of seed to start new populations.
- In other Magnolia species predominantly pollinated by beetles, pollen shortage or inefficient pollination has been reported.
- Maize pollen was used as a control to pollinate wheat, using the method described previously by Inagaki.
- Plants grown from teosinte seeds were pollinated with maize pollen.
- Grasses, rushes, and sedges all produce flowers that must be pollinated for sexual reproduction to occur.
- When one of the small flowers is pollinated and fertilized, it goes to seed and snakes outward in a fuchsia-colored curlicue.
- Like their fruitbat cousins, these bats may occasionally damage crops or gardens, but on the whole play a beneficial role in transporting seeds and in pollinating several species of plants.
- The stigmas were then pollinated with pollen from a flower whose anther had dehisced that day.
- It then pollinates the seed, but the actual fertilization of the seed does not occur until the fall, usually after the seed has fallen off the tree and the fleshy seed coat has rotted away.
- Bees are fooled into pollinating the bee orchid and the wispy, twisting petals of the rare lizard orchid closely resemble lizards.
- As well as pollinating the orchids, the bees are the chief pollinators of canopy trees.
- This plant is pollinated by bees and can be both out- and in-breeding.
- There were no objections to their plans and in fact many of the allotment holders welcomed them, saying the bees would help to pollinate their crops.
- By contrast, there are only about a thousand commercial beekeepers in the U.S., people who make a living harvesting and selling honey and wax and renting bees to farmers to pollinate their crops.
- Butterflies, flies and small bees pollinate flowers less frequently, and deposit smaller pollen loads, than large bees.
- Plants are already showing signs of bursting into bloom too early at a time when there are no insects around to pollinate their flowers.
- As the females search for egg sites, they pollinate the flowers with pollen carried from the fig where they were born.
- Every year, beekeepers send their best bees throughout the country to help pollinate crops, one farm at a time.
- The pollinating fly Philoliche aethiopica is unable to distinguish between the two, thus pollinating the orchid without a nectar reward.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.