In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Ecologycontaminarto become polluted — contaminarse
- Pesticides used to treat the flowers also pollute ground water.
- Replacing used water bottles with new containers made from virgin resources consumes energy and pollutes the air, land and water.
- A new medical study says they are more susceptible to some forms of cancer than the average Italian, possibly due to illegal waste dumps that pollute the water and soil.
- The rural population rarely has sewage systems, and so surface water is badly polluted.
- The spill polluted the water, damaged the coastal ecological system and disrupted fishing in the area.
- The result is that fish waste pollutes the water, which becomes the perfect habitat for green algae to form.
- Unfortunately, Perc is also a suspected carcinogen which pollutes air and water supplies.
- Intensive use of pesticides and fertilizers seriously pollutes our water, soil, and air.
- At least when you are home you can sit in your own Cadillacs for hours in the rush traffic and pollute the air as much you like, destroying the ozone layer and blame it on us smokers.
- When washed off, these substances drain away to pollute public water resources.
- A factory polluting your air or water supply is a typical example of one.
- We're better off leaving it in the ground rather than polluting our air and the globe by burning it.
- If oil tankers spill, if we keep throwing toxic waste in the ocean, if we do everything that pollutes the waters of the seven seas, lakes and rivers, the sea animals will suffer the exact same way we are.
- The traffic congestion that wastes time and energy and pollutes the air we breathe has reached its limit across the nation.
- The same giant livestock facilities that pollute our air and water are also the perfect breeding grounds for super-tough microbes.
- Changing the by-law that protects us will only benefit the lobbyists who are promoters of the industry which will further pollute our air and water.
- Loss of habitat, prey, and polluted waters are some of the risks that alligators already face.
- Yet, it costs nothing, and will cost nothing until our skies become so polluted that air worth breathing requires labour.
- The fact is that etching chips requires the use of caustic chemicals that pollute the air and water.
- If the hourly application rate is excessive, runoff could pollute surface waters or flood adjoining areas.
- On the other hand, his ability to corrupt and pollute the moral atmosphere of the earth, should he pervert his way, is greater than anyone else's.
- Yet corruption pollutes society by lowering the authority of public office, and it lowers economic efficiency by destroying the principle of fair competition and imposes unnecessary costs on the private sector.
- They have polluted the minds of Taiwanese and obstructed the progress of society.
- The condemned is reduced to a body to be kept and then eliminated in a ‘ritual expulsion of that which pollutes and defiles’.
- Pollution traditionally involved an act of defilement and desecration; in previous times, to pollute was to profane, to stain, to sully, to corrupt.
- You may enjoy short-term TV exposure and media headlines, but even the media are pillars of the polluting society.
- We find imprecations against people who break laws, defile a sanctuary, commit perjury, or pollute a grave, amongst other things.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.