In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1frente popular masculinethe Popular Front — el Frente Popular
- When he got together with other photographers they discussed fascism, communism, the popular front and Mussolini's attack on Ethiopia.
- The fault of the popular front was that it subordinated the radical forces to the political priorities of the most conservative forces in the alliance.
- By contrast, antifascism did make for a left politics at home-compromised by the opportunism and kitschiness of the popular front, but productive nonetheless.
- The ethnic division of Iraq remains as pervasive as it always has, and the notion that there is a kind of a popular front representing all the Iraq people, I think is quite fallacious.
- Dignity and prosperity arrive at his factory, which is now run by a workers' co-operative (mirroring the notion of the popular front, they are aided by a benign member of the upper class).
- Since the mid-30s, Stalinist organisations have continually joined so-called popular front alliances with bourgeois parties and within this framework supported bourgeois armies.
- After the defeat of the Fascist occupation forces he came to head a popular front government, which he used to entrench Communist Party power and establish a one-party state.
- Dos Passos was part of the anti-Stalinist left with James T Farrell against an American popular front of Communist, populist and celebrity liberal writers.
- The new popular front politics he advocated reflected that search for an alliance with social democracy; the fact that it was the complete reverse of what he had been arguing just four years earlier seemed of little consequence.
- Such a role was played by the popular front movements in France and Spain in the 1930s, as well as in the Chile of Salvador Allende.
- The point about the popular front was that it involved an alliance with the political representatives of sections of French, Spanish and British capital.
- It was agreed that a popular front government should be installed incorporating three members of an imperialist-backed exile regime in London.
- In line with the popular front policy dictated by the Kremlin, the US Stalinists supported an alliance with Roosevelt.
- Tragically, it took the victory of National Socialism for the popular front which he proposed to come into existence.
- They say the coalition is a popular front rather than a united front and invoke Trotsky to tell us we are wrong.
- More significantly it reflects the influence of the popular front politics and national outlook of Stalinism.
- During the period in which they became politically active, however, the Communist Party of the USA adopted the popular front line developed by the Stalinist bureaucracy in Moscow.
- Sweezy's indifference, if not outright hostility, to Trotsky's political analysis - the exposure of Stalinism and its popular front politics - expressed the outlook of a layer of radical intellectuals in the US.
- Our first victory was the election of the left wing popular front government in 1936.
- However, he came into conflict with the proposals to install a popular front government in Yugoslavia as part of the redivision of the world agreed between Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin in 1944.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.