In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Gene sequencing showed that it was derived from the porcine transmissible gastroenteritis virus by the loss of a sizeable chunk of RNA from one of its genes.
- The Three Little Pigs tells the tale of a porcine trio who set about trying to help Mummy Pig, whose windswept house seems beyond repair.
- The woods are renowned for their porcine mushrooms, but they're not that easy to make out against the rest of the undergrowth.
- We kids used to say that it was the only vehicle that had the room within into which he could heave his bulky porcine body.
- I also mentioned that the reshaped end in its newly raw state resembled a porcine visage.
- She has a walk that wouldn't look out of place on a sumo wrestler and a laugh which is punctuated with alarmingly porcine snorts.
- I've seen the way pigs are kept in Sweden and believe me, they inhabit the porcine equivalent of luxury hotels of the world.
- The clinical use of porcine xenotransplant is gaining wide acceptance the world over, said Dr. Cherian.
- We should actually think of eating pig products as an honour - we should worship our porcine buddies for providing us with sausages and bacon.
- So while visiting a disco in Rouen on Christmas Eve with his porcine coworker he decides to take his revenge.
- Even though wild and unwise boar do not look for danger above them, and that a man hiding up a tree with a big sharpened log was sure to be able to get himself some pork for the barbecue, our porcine tormentors were safe.
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia is uncommon with the use of porcine heparin and is less common with low-molecular-weight heparin.
- This phenomenon of interface activation was originally detected in studies on porcine pancreatic lipase and was attributed to a conformational change.
- I feel a need to have a pig category of postings as I'm a great fan of all things porcine.
- It works like a dose of porcine Valium, calming the piggies down and rendering them distinctly friendly.
- And all the time, Sandler's strange, porcine face hardly changes expression; it never shows anything approximating human feeling.
- He cheerfully apologizes for the room his two preteen boys share, which is predictably porcine with respect to neatness.
- The porcine genome was scanned to identify loci affecting coat color in an experimental cross between the Meishan breed and Dutch commercial lines.
- Dudley Council have ordered the removal of piggy banks and all other porcine effigies after complaints.
- Its new porcine casing is much in demand and is having to be rationed to customers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.