In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Mudstones are the main source of oil and gas, although by the time the oil or gas is extracted it has usually migrated to porous rocks such as sandstones of limestones.
- The result is the formation of solid structures of a porous calcium carbonate rock also known as travertine.
- This drainage system is made up of a lower layer of rough, nonporous material and an upper layer of porous soil and sand.
- Most of the outer islands of the southern Tongass are made of limestone, a relatively soft, porous rock.
- It is by nature a very porous material and often cannot be completely restored.
- Moreover, they can also be seen as potential shape-selective catalysts by analogy with the porous minerals, zeolites.
- Since drywall is a porous material, it can absorb melted paraffin when immersed in it.
- An aquifer is an underground bed of earth, gravel or porous stone that stores water.
- A porous paper may absorb a lot of the ink and as a result, the colors may be lighter.
- Capillary action of the porous material pulls the ammonia borane into the pores of the support.
- Most masonry materials are porous and will absorb large amounts of water.
- Another is a rounded piece of clinker, a porous material that results from the burning of coal seams.
- We do very much the same sort of thing in reverse when we try to get oil out of porous rocks like sandstone and so on.
- Braising in wine or a highly-seasoned stock allows porous mushrooms to absorb other flavors.
- They should not be used to vacuum porous materials, such as gypsum board.
- A magnetic stir bar was placed in each chamber, separated from the root material by a porous metal screen.
- You may even want to go over it with a primer if the material is porous.
- Coating a porous material like foam with this polymer makes it hydrophobic, so it won't absorb water.
- The ion exchanger is porous and allows for a solution to permeate through the material.
- The active oxygen and water vapour permeate through the porous rubber structure of the tyre over time, gradually reducing pressure.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.