In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Art Photographyretrato masculineto paint sb's portrait — pintar / retratar a algn
- before noun portrait gallery — galería de retratos
- portrait painter — retratista
- The heroine was played by Rita Luna, and her portrait was painted by Goya.
- It is in these interior scenes and portraits that art historians have most often claimed to detect the use of the camera.
- She enjoyed having studio photographic portraits taken of her and her dollies.
- She often painted portraits of herself, and of her relatives and friends.
- There are three surviving painted portraits by Rubens which show Frans with his mother, Helena.
- His portrait by Gentile Bellini faces the visitor entering the first of the Ottoman rooms.
- It is surely permissible to see in these two portraits the hand of a single painter.
- Gretl had her portrait painted by Gustav Klimt, the great Austrian Art Nouveau painter.
- The picture above is from a engraving made from a portrait from life.
- It's on now at the Richmond Art Gallery and consists of a series of portrait photograms and paintings.
- He made his reputation as a painter of small-scale portraits and genre scenes of contemporary city life.
- Ladies come to me for a gown as they go to a distinguished painter to get their portraits put on canvas.
- He broke with tradition when his official portrait was done in photographic form rather than a painting.
- As was the case with his predecessor, the most eloquent image of Leo X is his portrait by Raphael.
- It is significant that on hearing of the death of Lacy, Bacon should have painted a triptych portrait of the dead man from memory.
- His exploits were commemorated in a series of paintings, portraits and engravings.
- The hunt for the identities of portraits hidden among onlookers in painted scenes has engaged some authors.
- Many of his works consist of portraits or series of portraits of prosaic objects.
- Each is in turn derived from a familiar portrait by the likes of David and Holbein.
- Although a rough and possibly abandoned study, it was almost certainly done at the time Gauguin was painting the portrait of him.
2also pen portraitLiteratureretrato masculine
adjective & adverb
1en formato vertical
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.