In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Photography Artretrato masculineto paint sb's portrait — pintar / retratar a algn
- before noun portrait gallery — galería iconográfica
- portrait painter — retratista
- Gretl had her portrait painted by Gustav Klimt, the great Austrian Art Nouveau painter.
- He made his reputation as a painter of small-scale portraits and genre scenes of contemporary city life.
- As was the case with his predecessor, the most eloquent image of Leo X is his portrait by Raphael.
- The heroine was played by Rita Luna, and her portrait was painted by Goya.
- The hunt for the identities of portraits hidden among onlookers in painted scenes has engaged some authors.
- Many of his works consist of portraits or series of portraits of prosaic objects.
- He broke with tradition when his official portrait was done in photographic form rather than a painting.
- The picture above is from a engraving made from a portrait from life.
- There are three surviving painted portraits by Rubens which show Frans with his mother, Helena.
- She enjoyed having studio photographic portraits taken of her and her dollies.
- It is surely permissible to see in these two portraits the hand of a single painter.
- His exploits were commemorated in a series of paintings, portraits and engravings.
- Although a rough and possibly abandoned study, it was almost certainly done at the time Gauguin was painting the portrait of him.
- It is in these interior scenes and portraits that art historians have most often claimed to detect the use of the camera.
- It's on now at the Richmond Art Gallery and consists of a series of portrait photograms and paintings.
- She often painted portraits of herself, and of her relatives and friends.
- Each is in turn derived from a familiar portrait by the likes of David and Holbein.
- His portrait by Gentile Bellini faces the visitor entering the first of the Ottoman rooms.
- Ladies come to me for a gown as they go to a distinguished painter to get their portraits put on canvas.
- It is significant that on hearing of the death of Lacy, Bacon should have painted a triptych portrait of the dead man from memory.
2also pen portraitLiteratureretrato masculine
adjective & adverb
1en formato vertical
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.