In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(location)posición feminineubicación feminine Latin Americacan you give me your exact position? — ¿puede darme su posición exacta?
- enemy positions — posiciones enemigas
- position closed — ventanilla cerrada
- they took up their positions in the parade — ocuparon sus puestos en el desfile
- policemen had taken up positions around the building — los policías se habían apostado alrededor del edificio
- the castle occupies a commanding position above the town — el castillo domina la ciudad desde lo alto
- they changed position — se cambiaron de lugar / de sitio
- to be in position/out of position — estar en su sitio/fuera de lugar
- With nowhere to go, the swelling water easily enters households situated at low positions.
- The ceiling was high up from reach; oil drums and metallic cases were situated at nice positions, perfect for hiding.
- He was part of a troop of lightweight Bren gun carriers whose job was to go out ahead of the army to locate the positions of German Panzer tanks hidden in the sand dunes.
- He made another important contribution in using a grid to locate positions of places on the Earth.
- In the time it took to pick up the chart and locate our position, our HF antenna iced up.
- Bringing the pole down into a horizontal position, my right arm out behind me, locating the position of my left hand was easy.
- Taliban anti-aircraft positions were located on a hill nearby and the neighborhood, Wazir Akbar Khan, was home to many Taliban officials.
- He needed to locate their defensive positions.
- Civilian users can locate their position on Earth to an accuracy of about thirty feet.
- We moved all of our vehicles and soldiers from Camp Fallujah to a position about 1 mile north of the city.
- On the other hand, Ben has dived the wreck located at the position given for the Saxon Briton.
- My other car, which has been off the road for 10 years, is parked in an identical position and that wasn't ticketed.
- The trajectory could then be plotted and extrapolated backwards so that its position could be located.
- His work in this area was aimed at locating the position of enemy guns.
- Mr Roberts and the crew later located the position of the wreckage which they marked with an orange buoy.
- There should never have been a car park in such a position of prominence as it is in Church Street.
- This is determined by the simple expedient of the listener holding a microphone to locate their position in the room.
- It used GPS to locate his position on the ground and display the map of that area on his sensors.
- In more recent times it has been located at its present position, adjacent to the meat processing plant.
- Although I know several swims well I will always use the plumbing rod to locate the exact positions that I want to fish.
- Still, when you land it is nice to have a few place names to help you locate your position.
- Third base once was a position flush with players with outsize offensive numbers.
- The opening quarter was a game of dueling field positions.
- You have only to look at his record of assists and willingness to pass to players in better positions to see that.
- Having two of the world's best players in key positions certainly helps a team be considered great.
- Good coaching is putting your players in positions where they have a chance to be successful.
- This is one of the deeper areas of the team because several players can play two positions.
- Smith is putting an emphasis on speed at all defensive positions and wants every player moving to the ball at top speed to create turnovers.
- The team spent the rest of the draft wisely looking for backups at depth-shy positions and special team players.
- Fortunately for the team, second base and left field are positions where leadoff hitters can be found, making the task a little easier.
- All defensive players have shifted positions according to the rules for this defense.
- The players at the power positions for this team look as though they've spent the past six months losing weight, not lifting weights.
- Each player is assigned one position and he can only play that particular spot all year.
- The reason is the team thinks it has several players who play multiple positions.
- Don't we need provisions in player contracts that require the players to accept positions on the Olympic team?
- Shortstop and third base are the positions the team is most concerned with entering the 2001 season.
- Players switching positions is as old as the game itself.
- There is enough money available to go after the best at those positions, or the team could sign second-tier players who would provide upgrades.
- If you do it sooner, you might miss out on some players at other positions who immediately can fill starting roles.
- This will be a classic battle between two of the premier players at their positions.
- We just had a quality group of players at all positions, including defense, offense, and special teams.
2.1(posture)posición femininepostura feminine
- They can be reclined to a flat position providing a full length sleeping area.
- Perhaps it's some leftover pack instinct, when my dog folds himself into the most uncomfortable positions in order to nuzzle my face when I'm upset.
- He stretched and arched his back, which was aching from the position he had been reclining in.
- For example, the hands can contract into positions in which they can't be used.
- When ready to pounce the wasp moves swiftly when its prey is usually in a stationary position.
- Is it hard on a vehicle for it to idle in a stationary position for long periods of time - and why or why not?
- When the water subsided, his body was recovered in the exact position.
- When pasting the red paper on the door, the character fu must be arranged in an upside-down position.
- We started with some yoga positions, including 12 postures of suryanamaskar.
- The walls, which can be moved to any number of positions, have been arranged so that visitors can enjoy intriguing and compelling vistas of Klee's works.
- More fuel is used to get a vehicle moving from a stationary position, causing more pollution.
- Among the items on the second list were stress positions for up to 45 minutes, sleep deprivation for up to 72 hours and use of muzzled dogs.
- These cards would then be arranged in their correct positions to make up a whole orchestra.
- The big pile of bedding to the left is our futons which I've expertly arranged into a sitting position.
- It was a reclined position tricycle that you lay down in to use.
- Chair arms should be used only if they do not obstruct your sitting position and posture
- First, a laser can be aimed from awkward positions, like reclining in bed or sprawled on the floor.
2.2(stance, point of view)postura feminineposición feminine
- Some will remember that these pages have indicated my position on a number of Harris' policies.
- Factionalism implies a degree of coherence or constraint in a group's position on issues: we expect certain policy positions to go together.
- That would have meant abandoning the conference and pushing the executive's position to rank and file members.
- The prime minister has made his position clear: ‘The law must be the law, no matter who you are or what influence you have,’ he declared.
- Regardless of your viewpoint, the chances are that you hold a passionate position on this argument.
- Now if France wants to take a different position on certain issues, fine, I don't mind, why should that make me worry?
- He simply assumes that the liberal position on these issues is unassailable.
- In the meantime, he called on the government to clarify its position on the matter.
- Opinions, ideas, viewpoints, positions, perspectives, angles, impressions - now these I can handle.
- What is worse is that they assume that their view constitutes a feminist position on the issue.
- I apologise for the way in which my position on decommissioning was misrepresented.
- The orthodox view can then be contrasted with the revisionist position on these issues.
- I explained my position on the republic in terms which I won't repeat here but which are set out on my website.
- This article states the libertarian position on immigration in a fairly reasonable way.
- For his part, Okalik said his position on the human rights law remains unchanged.
- Could you state your position on the referendum, and in what ways have you been misunderstood?
- Is it possible to take a position on violence as a means towards an end, regardless of the nature of that end?
- His position on euthanasia grew from a principled view of patients' rights.
- He said his position on a public inquiry would not be changing.
3.1feminine posiciónmasculine puestomasculine lugarin second/third position — en segundo/tercer puesto / lugar
- How should a writer determine his/her position in relation to the rest of humanity?
- Women typically use the speech style they do because they are in less powerful positions in relation to men.
- But this race was all about Fernandez and from his leading position he was not going to allow Hartl get within striking distance of his direct trip to the semi-final.
- I feel languorous about my world, and of my position and importance in it.
- A good overall education program should promote understanding of the cooperative's character, governance, finances, policies, operations and market position.
- I am now considering my options in relation to my position in the Labour party.
- Now the whole social situation, including the position of women, has become more complex.
- He considered the position of women in his society as a form of slavery.
- Everyone wants to play for each other, but we're all in different positions at club level, so some will be out to prove a point
- When it comes to the interviewees' relative positions on the status scales, the interviewer was, in fact, blind.
- Women don't emerge from sexual exploitation into positions of power, respect or admiration.
- What seems to remain the same, however, is that men retain their monopoly of positions involving power and authority.
- Starting the day in first position after the first round, Watson continued from where he left off to win the title.
3.2formal (job, post)puesto masculinea position of responsibility/trust — un puesto de responsabilidad/confianza
- I accepted and became the first Jew to hold a tenured position in the mathematics department.
- Mr Andrew Laing took up the position on Monday, succeeding Mr Graeme Napier, who has recently been made a sheriff.
- It usually appoints its cronies to positions of importance.
- At that time, I was running for elections for the position of external relations Officer.
- His resignation from his position on Monday afternoon last came as a big shock to the soccer public in Waterford.
- In addition to his mathematics position, he was appointed to a divinity lectureship in 1845.
- Most people in high level government positions today are intimately connected with big business.
- Brewing has become a fashionable career option for women, who are going on to fill positions at senior level in the industry.
- There are some paid positions, but at levels below what any mainstream publication would consider a skeleton staff.
- He held positions of importance in the government but was relieved of these posts by President Bashir in 1999-2000.
- He had been offered a position at Berlin University and Minna and her family were keen to move there.
- Some agency positions would be affected by the reduction by the end of 2003.
- This would secure jobs and create new positions, he asserted.
- An increase in the number of junior and senior level positions is now evident, but recruitment continues at a relatively sluggish pace.
- Britain's biggest insurer said it would attempt to find alternative employment for those staff whose positions are affected.
- The president has filled a number of high level positions since being re-elected.
- He received a position at the University of Rostock but was appointed to a lectureship at Groningen in the same year.
- An often-impenetrable glass ceiling limits many women seeking executive level positions in corporate America.
- Why do so few women make it top level positions - not just in corporations but in science and engineering?
- We have therefore decided to decline the offer of discussions on a possible position on the Liberal Democrat executive.
3.3(social standing)posición feminine
4(situation, circumstances)situación feminineour economic position has improved — nuestra situación económica ha mejorado
- the workforce is in a strong bargaining position — los trabajadores están en una buena posición para negociar
- what's the current position with regard to deliveries? — ¿cúal es la situación con respecto a las entregas?
- it put us in a difficult/an awkward position — nos puso en una situación difícil/delicada
- (if I were) in your position — yo en tu lugar
- put yourself in my position — ponte en mi lugar
- Jean's in the best position to know — Jean es quien mejor puede saberlo
- you're in no position to criticize — no eres la persona más indicada para criticar
- I'm not in a position to help them at the moment — en este momento no estoy en condiciones de prestarles ayuda
- I'm in the fortunate position of having a private income — tengo la suerte de disponer de rentas
1colocarponerpolice had been positioned at both ends of the street — habían apostado policías a ambos extremos de la calle
- he positioned himself between the two guests of honor — se situó entre los dos invitados de honor
- Any significant increase in costs could affect the financial position adversely.
- I am not in a position to judge the financial standing of either company.
- After all, the government says it will continuously review its position as the situation changes.
- A council spokesperson said he was not in a position to answer the query on the double yellow lines.
- Your Honour, the position is this in relation to the conduct of the matter so far.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.