In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(number/quantity) positivo(electrode) positivopositive ion — ión positivo masculine
- the test was positive — el análisis dio positivo
- He also worked on number theory proving in 1770 that every positive integer is the sum of four squares.
- All positive whole numbers are either primes or they can be uniquely decomposed into a product of primes.
- Electrons and positive ions, the components of plasma, are charged particles.
- This indicated that no specific attention was warranted to these near zero or small positive values.
- Plucker used a glass tube filled with air and containing a positive and a negative electrode.
- While studying streams of ionized gas Wien, in 1898, identified a positive particle equal in mass to the hydrogen atom.
- It contains both positive and negative charges, but its net charge is positive.
- At least one of the positive and negative high voltage power supplies switches between a high state and a low state.
- Any and every G sequence which eventually has only positive numbers occurs as a row in this array.
- Zero divided by negative or positive numbers is either zero or is expressed as a fraction with zero as numerator and the finite quantity as denominator.
- There is a net positive charge - there are more protons in the nucleus than electrons surrounding it.
- This is an alternative derivation of Newton's method for finding square roots of positive numbers.
- These minerals in their ion state carry either negative or positive charges, much like a car battery.
- The atom that loses electrons gains a positive charge, becoming a cation.
- Acidic lipids enhance the adsorption of positive ions due to their negative charge.
- If we subtract a positive number from an empty power, the same negative number remains.
- Since nuclei carry positive electrical charges, they normally repel one another.
- He defines limits of positive variable quantities using ideas that he had used in looking at limits of series.
- Predicted by quantum theory, ghost radiation is a negative energy field that dampens normal positive energy.
- From Miss Ewart's view, a positive attitude rather than skill base is the most important quality in a prospective employee.
- Instead, he has welcomed the renewed focus among members on a more positive campaign rather than industrial action.
- There was a darkroom, an optical printer to blow 8mm up to 16 mm, a contact printer to make positive 16 mm prints from negatives, an editing table, etc.
- In fact, there are two copies of that issue in the bound volumes - one cover features a positive shot, the other a negative one.
- She says we have to learn to use anger in a positive way, rather than letting it control us.
- If we are to move forward, we must espouse this more positive approach in all dimensions of the club's activity.
- The aim is to build a positive image for a brand that can provide long-term returns.
- Exuding confidence and advocating a positive outlook, he has no harsh words for anyone.
- The outlook he had on what was happening to the city around him was rather positive.
- Otherwise, the outlook was impressively positive and upbeat.
- Having a positive approach is essential if you are to move forward.
- I have always kept my optimism and my positive approach to life.
- The meeting appeared to be positive and constructive and we were assured that our views would be taken on board.
- He'll stay near his family and provide them with the strong and positive presence he always has.
- At the same time, he tried to use egotism in a positive way, rather than destroying it outright.
- They will be confident of a positive start against the Mexicans once more.
- They should exercise daily and maintain a positive, hopeful outlook toward the future.
- This kind of photograph is a unique positive picture produced on a thin sheet of iron blackened by tar.
- To his great surprise, when Pia examined his negatives, there was a positive image!
- Clutching his prize after Monday's ceremony, Wiseman said there was a more positive and confident mood in the country than was evident a few years ago.
- Where we find ourselves now, however, is a brighter, more positive and optimistic place.
- What we will try and do is use these couple of weeks and be positive rather than talk about it.
- Despite all this, I'm actually feeling rather positive about the impending arrival.
- I hope you will consider the use and practice of non-violence in a more creative and positive way, rather than dismiss it as mere idealism.
- We need positive comments rather than focusing on the negatives which do nothing to help the situation.
- I also know that the image of your company and brand is important to you and that you want to be associated with positive images of women.
- We were studying positive, comparative and superlative adjectives and, as usual, having a pretty hard time with it.
2.1(constructive)(attitude) positivo(criticism) constructivothat's not the attitude, try positive thinking — cambia de actitud, intenta ser más positivo
- look on the positive side — mira lo positivo / el lado positivo
2.2(for the good)(influence/development) positivoa positive experience — una experiencia positiva
3(definite)there is no positive evidence — no hay pruebas concluyentes / definitivas / fehacientes
- the group still lacks a positive identity — al grupo todavía le falta una identidad definida
- it was the first positive sighting in the area — fue la primera vez que categóricamente / decididamente se lo avistó en la región
- Any of these scenarios could result in a positive drug test for someone who is not impaired while driving.
- The infections were detected in recipients by a positive blood smear.
- If you are now in a relationship, you may wish to ask your doctor about how to explain your positive test result to your partner.
- They only call if the results are positive and my tests had come back so.
- Incorrect responses on either or both tasks are scored as a positive result, indicating dementia.
- A positive skin test result may mean the individual is more vulnerable to asthma, hay fever, and eczema.
- Patients were considered to be HIV-positive only if both tests gave a positive result.
- In 28 cases, results were positive using one test but negative using another.
- The experiment has shown positive results, and presently, the infants are living normally.
- Four percent of the children were admitted to a hospital because of positive blood cultures.
- If any test result is positive, the test should be repeated immediately for confirmation.
- Patients with positive test results should be treated to eradicate the infection.
- Jones has always denied all the allegations and has never tested positive for any banned substances.
- Tuberculin skin test results are positive in two thirds of patients.
- Transbronchial biopsies and brushings returned positive for non-small cell carcinoma.
- In the first few days of testing, half of the samples from current employees came back positive.
- Should the test have a positive result, indicating that a condition has been detected, the parents will need counselling and support.
- He won the event in 2002, but tested positive for the banned substance nandrolone the year after.
4(absolute)auténticoverdaderoit's a positive disgrace — es una auténtica / verdadera vergüenza
- Some theologians have a positive genius for cloaking sensible ideas in impenetrable jargon.
- Food shopping online is a positive delight compared to a couple of years ago, according to those consumer guardians at Which?
- I had an Iron Maiden Tshirt, despite having no affinity for the Maiden at all, and, in fact, a positive disdain.
5.1(decisive)categóricoshe's very positive in her likes and dislikes — es muy categórica en sus preferencias
- what we need is positive leadership — lo que necesitamos es un liderazgo firme
- Therefore, a certain naiveté, unburdened by conventional wisdom, can sometimes be a positive asset.
- The phrasing of Article 25 implies a positive duty, commitment, or obligation by government.
- As yet there is no positive evidence for this theory, but if modified a little it is attractive.
- You need someone who has the actual expertise to confirm positive identification.
- The funeral director made a positive identification by a tattoo on Ray's arm of a hammerhead shark.
- While these statistics offer positive information for university graduates, the survey response rate is extremely discouraging.
- Where then, Marx asks, is the positive possibility of German freedom to be found?
- There was no reason in the absence of positive evidence to conclude that the organization had any continuing role as trustee.
- I wish I had a more concrete, definite, positive, upbeat answer to give.
- The positive identification of the body means the bodies of all four Irish people lost in the disaster have been recovered.
- It has so far proved difficult to make a positive identification of the lorry driver, but he was believed to be a Polish national.
- An inquest was opened in 1991 after the discovery of her body but has never been resumed because of the lack of a positive identification.
- He is giving, I would submit, direct, positive evidence of identification.
- She considered many things on her walk but found no positive answers.
- The security footage produced a positive identification of the vans, but not of the people inside.
- The officer told him that if he could not make a positive identification he should say so; then it was that he told the officer that he was not sure.
- The woman was able to provide a positive identification of the pair of teens, who were charged with theft.
- The rate of offending for street crime is down by 19 per cent, a very positive decrease that is down to a lot of hard work and effort.
- Upon positive identification, the user is alerted by both an audible and visual alarm.
- It is getting harder, but it is still possible to earn a positive real return on your savings, and savers should be striving for the best possible deal.
- Possible relatives of the dead man later came forth but could not give a positive identification.
5.2informal (sure)are you sure? — positive — ¿estás seguro? — segurísimo / más que seguro
- I'm positive I've met him before — estoy segurísima de que lo conozco
- she was positive about the date/having seen him — estaba muy segura de la fecha/de haberlo visto
- In Scotland we have too many cases of referees that are overweight and too slow to keep up, and I am positive that this goes on in England too.
- I am very positive that something can be sorted out and that I will be able to continue to play league football.
- I am positive that the band would sell thousands of records with numerous sold out tours if they were American.
- She was positive that a mistake would happen.
- I told them I was positive of who it was, they didn't have to worry about it.
- Neither of these persons was able to produce the original or any copy of the assignment, although both of them were positive that an assignment had been made.
- I'm positive I'll go back and ski there again.
- She couldn't explain the feeling, but she was positive someone else was inside.
- Eyewitness testimony in court cases - even from witnesses who are absolutely positive about what they saw - should be taken with a grain of salt.
- Makaab said Mbesuma had been training hard and that he was determined and positive of succeeding in European football.
- My bets are on number three to win, and I'm almost positive that she will!
- Officers had been 99.9 per cent positive it was Jenna because the teenager's ring was found with the body.
- I've learnt a huge amount from Geoff since we contested the Cambrian Rally and I'm very positive that we can have an excellent year.
- I'm also pretty positive that they have to check their email everyday, so I'm sure she got the email.
- I am positive that my theory is correct, so I don't think I would ever bother to find any evidence to support it.
- During training you can spend time working on your techniques and I am positive that it has helped my game.
- I was lucky that time, but I was positive I would not be so lucky this time.
- I was almost positive that enlisted men were not supposed to speak to their betters in such a familiar manner.
- She hated him, that was very certain and she grew more and more positive of this fact as the next few days passed.
1(constructive element)the positive — los aspectos positivos
- The first test is to determine the correct exposure for a film positive.
- Once you've got that original positive, you can do what ever you want, and it looks pretty cool in its own right - I have one hanging in my hall.
- It has a built-in transparency adapter, so it can scan 35 mm photo negatives and positives (slides).
- In this process I first make a contact interpositive and then an enlarged negative from the contact positive.
2.2only one of these values is a positive — solo uno de estos valores es positivo
- Two positives combined will always yield another positive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.