In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sello (de correos) masculineestampilla feminine Latin Americatimbre masculine Mexicoa garden the size of a postage stamp — un jardín como un pañuelito
- Her name and likeness adorned a five-cent postage stamp issued March 10 of that year.
- At this point, I am so sick of looking at it, I would publish it on a postage stamp if I could list that on my CV and reference it in my next paper.
- The drawings are so dense with graphite and so sharply outlined against a larger white sheet that they appear to adhere to it like a postage stamp.
- You'll save a postage stamp and also reduce your chances of overlooking this federal requirement.
- Taking the quiz online will also save you the cost of a postage stamp.
- Britain's first adhesive postage stamp, the Penny Black, had been launched just seven months earlier.
- In addition, a Warhol postage stamp will be issued next year.
- About 70,000 objects about the size of a postage stamp have been detected between 850-1,000 km above the Earth.
- But the thing that really annoys me is that people expect you to pay for all this period charm and bathrooms the size of a postage stamp.
- A microprocessor, as small as a postage stamp, performs thousands of calculations per second based on readings from the sensor.
- Ever since the first postage stamp, the Penny Black, was released, philately has enthralled both the young and the old.
- Armadillo aficionados might be interested to know that Cambodia has issued a postage stamp to celebrate a prehistoric armadillo.
- In 1982, a Bob Marley commemorative postage stamp was issued in Jamaica.
- She has even had her face depicted on a Ugandan postage stamp!
- The government has given the go ahead for the concept and draft design for a postage stamp pending further consultations with stakeholders.
- The Houdini postage stamp is now on sale, as I announced last week.
- Release all your hatred, all for the price of a postage stamp!
- Kelly first received official approval in 1980 when a postage stamp was issued to mark the centenary of his death.
- There will be a lucky dip, incorporating the elusive Penny Black, the world's first adhesive postage stamp.
- The breed was also honored on a postage stamp issued by Turkey in 1978.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.