In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1formalsello (de correos) masculineestampilla feminine Latin Americatimbre masculine Mexicoa garden the size of a postage stamp — un jardín como un pañuelito
- Armadillo aficionados might be interested to know that Cambodia has issued a postage stamp to celebrate a prehistoric armadillo.
- She has even had her face depicted on a Ugandan postage stamp!
- Kelly first received official approval in 1980 when a postage stamp was issued to mark the centenary of his death.
- About 70,000 objects about the size of a postage stamp have been detected between 850-1,000 km above the Earth.
- Her name and likeness adorned a five-cent postage stamp issued March 10 of that year.
- Ever since the first postage stamp, the Penny Black, was released, philately has enthralled both the young and the old.
- But the thing that really annoys me is that people expect you to pay for all this period charm and bathrooms the size of a postage stamp.
- The Houdini postage stamp is now on sale, as I announced last week.
- There will be a lucky dip, incorporating the elusive Penny Black, the world's first adhesive postage stamp.
- The government has given the go ahead for the concept and draft design for a postage stamp pending further consultations with stakeholders.
- Release all your hatred, all for the price of a postage stamp!
- At this point, I am so sick of looking at it, I would publish it on a postage stamp if I could list that on my CV and reference it in my next paper.
- In 1982, a Bob Marley commemorative postage stamp was issued in Jamaica.
- In addition, a Warhol postage stamp will be issued next year.
- The drawings are so dense with graphite and so sharply outlined against a larger white sheet that they appear to adhere to it like a postage stamp.
- Taking the quiz online will also save you the cost of a postage stamp.
- A microprocessor, as small as a postage stamp, performs thousands of calculations per second based on readings from the sensor.
- The breed was also honored on a postage stamp issued by Turkey in 1978.
- Britain's first adhesive postage stamp, the Penny Black, had been launched just seven months earlier.
- You'll save a postage stamp and also reduce your chances of overlooking this federal requirement.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.