In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Letters in hand, I wandered off up to the postbox.
- Often, delivery errors are corrected by residents, who put the mail through the right door or drop it back into a postbox.
- They are asking the county council to make the lane a safe walking route to and from High Grantley, where the bus stop, school, playgroup, recreation ground, village hall, postbox and public house are all located.
- The first results were not declared until gone midnight, with sackloads of extra votes arriving after a last-minute sweep of postboxes by the Royal Mail.
- The postbox was designed specifically so that its slot was only 5mm wide, and therefore it could only take ordinary sized enveloped.
- The Royal Mail has reduced collections without providing bigger postboxes to accommodate the volume of letters.
- I walked out of the house to post a letter - the postbox is less than 100 yards away - and left the door open.
- Live fireworks have been thrown into phone boxes, postboxes and even into a residential letterbox vandals in the run up to bonfire night
- The Post Office also agreed to install a postbox in the Seaview area, and street lighting around Seaview has also been upgraded.
- These mis-delivered letters are put back into the postbox, with an arrow indicating the correct place, and I can only hope that the post office does not add insult to injury by trying to collect excess postage.
- It happened again the next morning as I nipped down to the postbox at the corner of my road.
- A spokesman for the Royal Mail said the box had been moved so that a larger postbox could be installed.
- A problem with some of the older postboxes is that they cannot take the volume of post that needs to go in them, especially in some urban areas.
- And judging by the full postboxes of letters already dotted around the hall, public feeling is as strong as ever.
- She said people had been parking their cars up by the postbox to post their mail and blocking the access of adjacent properties.
- A postbox containing voting slips was set alight.
- I've been carrying a letter round for two weeks, looking for a postbox.
- There's something satisfying about putting that wodge of envelopes in the postbox on the way to work.
- The unofficial walkouts crippled large parts of London and hit other areas of the country, forcing managers to empty postboxes.
- There, he dropped the package into one of the postboxes and grinned with satisfaction when he imagined a confused postman finding it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.